Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Jack Howard is the administrator at the popphoto.com forums, he's also the online technical editor for the magazine and an author of at least one HDR how-to book; the book I know of was shot using primarily the Pentax K10D. He's just named his top 3 DSLR's for HDR in 2008.

They are:

Pentax K20D (or K10D if you can get one on closeout)
Nikon D3
Canon EOS 1D Mk III

Us Pentaxians are in good company :D

With the K20D and K10D you can bracket up to 5 images at anywhere from 0.3 to 2 full stops apart. There isn't that type of bracketing availability on anything from Canon or Nikon for a similar price. (We'll see what the Nikon D90 can do when it is announced).

Anyway, here's the link: http://www.popphoto.com/popularphotographyfeatures/5052/cool-cameras-for-hdr-photography.html

SLC

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
With the K20D and K10D you can bracket up to 5 images at anywhere from 0.3 to 2 full stops apart. There isn't that type of bracketing availability on anything from Canon or Nikon for a similar price.

It is absolute lunacy that I cannot bracket more than three images at a time on my 5D unless I do it manually (unless I've completely missed something in dissecting my 5D.... ? )

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Not to say that this isn't a nice feature, but it is one that can be duplicated pretty easily manually. Just set a manual exposure and start however underexposed you want and go to however overexposed.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
It is absolute lunacy that I cannot bracket more than three images at a time on my 5D unless I do it manually (unless I've completely missed something in dissecting my 5D.... ? )

I think my old 30D could do 5 brackets, but also had 5fps. The 5D can only do 3 brackets and is 3fps -- maybe there is a correlation? I dunno.

iBallz

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2007
So. Utah
I'm heading to SLC right now, where are the camera shops you would recommend? I might not have enough time but do want to get over to the Apple store.
Thanks

Martin C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2006
New York City
How many can the D3 bracket at a time? I believe the 1D MKIII can bracket 7 images at a time. That's an HDR monster. I'm stuck with HDRs from one RAW with my D40 (no AEB); I'll see what the next 5D revision brings though.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
The Nikon D200 can auto bracket up to 7 frames I believe. I've used 5 frames frequently for HDR.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.