Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Waragainstsleep

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2003
UK
I have an Apple RAID card part number A1247 that was pulled along with its four RAID drives from a fully working 2010 Mac Pro.
I made an attempt to sell the kit but got no takers so its been sat around in an ESD bag for a while now but I could do with trying to retrieve some data from it.
The only Mac Pro I have ready access to is a 2008. I gather its not considered compatible
according to this link:

but I'm wondering why that would be the case. Both have PCI-E so shouldn't it work? Is it worth a try anyway?
I am more than happy to upgrade the 2008 OS beyond the Apple mandated El Capitan if that would help. I would try Windows but it won't read the Apple=formatted volumes on the RAID even if the drivers work :(

I only need it to work for a couple of hours, probably considerably less if I can read it easily - I'm only looking to retrieve old iPhone backups with some text messages from the mobilebackups folder)
Am I risking jeopardising the data by trying it out?

For the record, while I do appreciate all helpful souls, I am very specifically looking from input from two classes of people here:
1: Experts - engineering experts or maybe some hardcore server guys who have a deep understanding of these cards and the PCI-E limitations that may apply;
2: People with hands on experience - those rare maniacs who may have actually tried this once. I realise you are likely to be rare beasts.

Commenting "Apple says blah blah so I wouldn't risk it..." does not further my understanding. Thank you for your opinion but please don't waste your time posting it.

Many thanks to anyone who can shed any light for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.