Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GeorgeTheMonkey

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Fall has up and arrived – kamikaze leaves crash down on unsuspecting passersby, leaf peeping is a thing again, and reports of rumbles coming from the Great Pumpkin in its far-off pumpkin patch have spread throughout the nearby towns and villages.

Any time of year is a great time to take a photograph, but fall is, of course, at least twenty times more so. I'm in the mood for some fall photography fun – Only problem is, I don't know what to do, or what to snap pictures of.

Could you help me out here? What are some tips for taking fantastic fall photos, and are there any bright ideas floating out there for nifty fall photography projects?

Here's a nifty bunch of tips for taking better photos of autumn leaves and foliage, but is there anything else? Anything you usually like to shoot in the fall, or any special projects that you know of for photograph-loving folk? Great ideas will end up in Photojojo – the greatest newsletter ever where we spend our days collecting the best photo shiz around – so please share. :)

And any photographs you want to share?

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
A good macro lens/function is awesome for autumn shots. Long exposure times can show the effects of wind on the leaves, and double exposures can make an eerie shot. I would practice my own advice if I had a dSLR...

nevertheless, i quite like this shot :)

fallen_leaves_on_water_by_hunter336.jpg

mrthieme

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2006
Here's one I took this morning while drinking some coffee on the porch.

Attachments

• _MG_5040 1.jpg
    _MG_5040 1.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 103

GeorgeTheMonkey

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Is it just me or do the photos on that page taken by the Dean of NYIP look like not very good snapshots :confused:

Not just you... They look fairly ordinary to me too. :)

Scarlet Fever, I really like that photo of the fallen leaf in the water. And mrthieme, fantastic. (Isn't it great to wake up to a cup of coffee and just casually snap some shots?)

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
A good macro lens/function is awesome for autumn shots. Long exposure times can show the effects of wind on the leaves, and double exposures can make an eerie shot. I would practice my own advice if I had a dSLR...

P&S+tripod+dark piece of glass (ND filter) in front of lens+ Auto exposure=long exposure time

P&S+tripod+separate shots+photoshop layer blending=double exposure

:)

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
I wish we had Fall here in the south, instead of just cold snaps now and again. Winter would be nice, too.

Basically, anything but this 9-month summer. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.