Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HomeingPigeon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
Last night i was trying to take pictures of a tree full of egrets but i couldnt get a picture that wasnt really blurry. Can you tell me why this is and how to fix it i would be thankfull

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Night Photography usually require longer exposure times (because there is less light) so therefore you probably need a tripod to avoid camera shake. IS lenses might also help. Rule of thumb, if the exposure time is longer than the focal length then camera shake is likely. Example, at 50mm, handheld exposures are usually fine under 1/50 sec, at 200mm under 1/200 sec.

DubOverdose

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2007
Also, if your exposure is only around 1s and you already have your camera on a tripod, what you're likely getting blur from is when you depress the shutter. With night photography a remote release or a timer is a good idea. Good, heavy tripods also help.

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Sitting on a rig somewhere
Any kind of photography where you have to use "Night" to describe it... screams TRIPOD :D. Also you will need a cable release or use the timer built into the camera, as was stated above. If you get the chance to shoot the scene another evening, if the egrets come often, I'd love to see a shot :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.