Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I'm interested in purchasing some night vision goggles for film processing and printing, they should be okay right? Would infrared light affect the processing or printing?

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
I'm interested in purchasing some night vision goggles for film processing and printing, they should be okay right? Would infrared light affect the processing or printing?

Probably depends on the light source and the paper / film you plan to use. Color of course would not like it. Even black and white paper can be fogged by too bright a safe light. Considering how close the source (goggles) will be to the paper I would be careful. If you had access to a pair you could test and see.

From the goggles I have seen, I can't imagine them being very handy for darkroom work?

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I thought he was talking about using IR goggles and an IR lamp, not light amplification goggles.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana

really? why not just get a safe light?

but to answer your questions, your film and paper will be fine, as long as they aren't expose to visible light. Film is a bit more sensitive (i.e. you have to develop it in complete darkness, no safelights allowed). But paper will do just fine under a safe light like this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...ls&Q=&sku=27670&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Also, NVG's don't emit UV light, so that wouldn't be a problem. They're passive systems, that either amplify available light (traditional) or sense infrared (thermal). The only reasons I would tell you not to use them is the amount of light they emit from the back into your eyes bleeding out into the room and the price. You can see just fine under a safe light, for less than $100.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

You don't need them. If doing black and white printing you can use a "safe light" that is bright enough to read by. It emits a color of light you can see but the film and paper can't. If doing color the film can see the IR light. Also you only need to have the darkroom dark while the paper is out. Once the print is in the fixer you can tun the room lights back on.

But worse you ABSOLUTELY will NOT be able to see and focus the enlarger while using the goggles. You need to see the projected image with your real eyes. The IR goggles dont have the required resolution, so durring the five minutes yu have the lights out for each print you would have to take the goggle off for half that time and like I said for B&W the safellight can be bright

It's just not an issuse. You don't need them.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
You don't need them. If doing black and white printing you can use a "safe light" that is bright enough to read by. It emits a color of light you can see but the film and paper can't. If doing color the film can see the IR light. Also you only need to have the darkroom dark while the paper is out. Once the print is in the fixer you can tun the room lights back on.

But worse you ABSOLUTELY will NOT be able to see and focus the enlarger while using the goggles. You need to see the projected image with your real eyes. The IR goggles dont have the required resolution, so durring the five minutes yu have the lights out for each print you would have to take the goggle off for half that time and like I said for B&W the safellight can be bright

It's just not an issuse. You don't need them.

Okay, I can understand what you are saying. I will save myself the $300-$400 and not buy them, instead I'll just make do. Black and White printing wasn't issue for me anyway, it is with colour processing that is the difficulty.

jamesW135

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2005
For film If you could get this to work it would be a livesaver. Many people don't know how annoying Film is to get on a reel;) But for paper I think a safelight works just fine.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
For film If you could get this to work it would be a livesaver. Many people don't know what a B**** Film is to get on a reel;) But for paper I think a safelight works just fine.

Are you talking about 35mm? If so, get a Hewes reel. It has hooks for the sockets and is a piece of cake to load with.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
For film If you could get this to work it would be a livesaver. Many people don't know what a B**** Film is to get on a reel;) But for paper I think a safelight works just fine.

I need to google for a safelight what ever one is. I'm in no hurry as I colour process at the moment but I am curious.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

Just buy some good stainless reels. Then get some junk film and one night after dinner close your eyes and take the film on and off the reel about 100 times untill literally it becomes such a borring job you could do it with your eyes closed. You should be able to do 100 load/unloads in an hour or so

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.