Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
UK
Just ordered this in the UK store with the promotional 25% off, very excited. Just got an email saying it will be nearly 2.5 weeks before it arrives :(

No option of a download either...

I'm rubbish at waiting for things to arrive in the post!

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
Just ordered this in the UK store with the promotional 25% off, very excited. Just got an email saying it will be nearly 2.5 weeks before it arrives :(

No option of a download either...

I'm rubbish at waiting for things to arrive in the post!

I have this for both my Photoshop and Aperture 2....WELL worth the wait!!! You're about to enter into a whole new world of photographic possibilities :D

Congrats on the (so VERY wise) purchase!

*Edit--this is of course assuming you've never used the filters before. I just visited your site and realized that this may not be the case. My Aperture NIK is used for the quick and dirty stuff. I still find myself jumping into Photoshop for final PP.

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
UK
Oooh, you've got me even more excited and impatient now! All the images on my website were edited with Aperture and Photoshop, but no Nik software.

I've been tempted by Silver Efex Pro for a while as I've never been happy with the BW conversion of Aperture (I can sort of get the results I want using Photoshop, but never to my full satisfaction). The price of the one application compared to the full suite with the 25% discount made it a no brainer. I've also only heard and read great things about the software.

I'm hoping Nik will bring more ideas and possibilities to my photography and speed up processes too.

I'm curious. Do you get the image mostly as you want it in Aperture and then go into Photoshop and really tweak any changes with layers? I couldn't make up which version would be best (but can see the benefits for having both), so plumped for the Aperture version for now as it was on sale!

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
The photoshop plugins are living on my workstation in my office and the Aperture plugins on my laptop. I do some tethered shooting on my MBP (via Aperture) and find having Nik readily available to be a pretty handy thing. (Clients like this a lot). The Aperture plugins are no more / less versatile than the Photoshop...so be at ease, you are getting the real deal here. The photoshop plugins simply give you the benefit of working in photoshop and with other plugins you may have.

Your style reflects some good use of saturation and also some dark vignetting around your corners--you will find performing these types of edits to be painless (check out the darken/lighten center in Color Effex). Also, Viveza allows you to do some amazing things. There isn't a plugin included in that package that I don't find extremely useful.

I'm a big fan and really could just go on and on...

The ONLY photoshop actions done with the photo below were clone and crop. The rest was done using the very package you just purchased :D The photo is for a client that traveled to Seattle for a music competition. This is their director. I had next to zero time to prepare for this shot as he held the pose for the shortest time before moving up to the judge (in glaring pink) to engage in some kind of singing exercise....a snapshot now front cover for their coffee table book.

535885425_yWqHi-L.jpg
535885469_mEfBu-L.jpg

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Well I only find, Dfine, Color Efex Pro and Silver Efex Pro to be very useful, I haven't tried to use the RAW Pre-sharpener and output properly and I'm not sure how to use Viveza to its true potential

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
UK
The final version of the musician is very effective, great work.

Thanks for putting my mind to rest that the Aperture edition is just as capable as the Photoshop version. With time I may get that too, we'll see how it goes. I tend to use Aperture for most of my editing now anyway, and only use Photoshop for very specific things (cloning, masking). I've always missed being able to do selective colour/density changes in Aperture, hence this purchase. I'd tried the U-point technology out in a trial of Capture NX, but I find all Nikon software awful and slow to use. I then tried one of the Nik trials for Aperture, and found it much more useable and it fitted in my workflow better.

I'm interested in what the noise reduction and sharpening tools are like - something I've never used specific software for before.

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
UK
Hooray! It arrived today. Had a quick play. Been quite brutal with my application, new toy and all that - I wanted to press as many buttons as possible. All the filters I've used have created artefacts that are easily visible.

Attachments

• DSC_0894 - Version 2.jpg
    DSC_0894 - Version 2.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 95

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
Nik allows selective application of all of its filters...either through U-point technology or via the "brush" functionality. Like photoshop, it takes selective application along with layers to build up to the desired effect. Enjoy the new toy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.