Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carbonmotion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
San Francisco, CA
I've been hearing alot of good things about the Nikkor 50mm...
I have a D40 and I do alot of city scape shoots...

is 50mm ultra wide angle or at the very least wider than the 17-55 kit?

thebeephaha

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Seattle WA
Get the third party Sigma 10-20mm ultra wide non fisheye zoom.

And no the 50 is not wide, on a digital body camera it is 75mm due to Nikon's 1.5x crop factor.

And remember the smaller the number the wider the lens.

shambolic

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2003
Staten Island, NY
Let's also remember that the 50/1.8 is a non AF-S lens, i.e. lacks a focus motor in the lens body, and so cannot be autofocused with the D40 body.

I can heartily second the recommendation of the Sigma 10-20, though. Has HSM (Sigma equivalent of AF-S, so will autofocus fine on the D40), well-built, and just a fantastic perspective...

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I'm not sure how resolute I'll be; but I've (more or less) decided to stop buying lenses for my D70 until they start refreshing the primes as AF-S. I really like my 35mm, but being able to tweak the focus without having to switch to manual mode is just too handy.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I've been hearing alot of good things about the Nikkor 50mm...
I have a D40 and I do alot of city scape shoots...

is 50mm ultra wide angle or at the very least wider than the 17-55 kit?

1) Set you ket lens to 50mm and look through the viewfinder. A 50mm prime will have the exact same field of view. It's a moderate telephoto on a DX format camera.

2) I think the D40 can only use AF-S type lenses. This is one reason I don't recommend the D40. I think the 50mm is AFD. I always suggest to pick out the lenses first and then shop for a body to fit. Doing it in that order prevents this problem. I think the only AF-S prime is the 200mm f/2 which is not cheap. OK you can use the 50mm on the D40 but it will not automatically focus. You will need to rotate the focus ring

I have the 50mm f/1.4 and it's the lens that I use second most right after the 18-70mm that was the kit lens on the D70.

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
I'm got the Canon equivalent of that 50mm Nikkor and I absolutely love it. I bought it instead of a kit lens though, so I have no zoom lens at the moment, which is kind of lame. All in all, though, a 50mm prime is a wonderful investment. I don't know about the Nikkor, but the Canon one is EXTREMELY light, which helps as well.

Daniel.

carbonmotion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
San Francisco, CA
1) Set you ket lens to 50mm and look through the viewfinder. A 50mm prime will have the exact same field of view. It's a moderate telephoto on a DX format camera.

2) I think the D40 can only use AF-S type lenses. This is one reason I don't recommend the D40. I think the 50mm is AFD. I always suggest to pick out the lenses first and then shop for a body to fit. Doing it in that order prevents this problem. I think the only AF-S prime is the 200mm f/2 which is not cheap. OK you can use the 50mm on the D40 but it will not automatically focus. You will need to rotate the focus ring

I have the 50mm f/1.4 and it's the lens that I use second most right after the 18-70mm that was the kit lens on the D70.

i use manual focus alot, actually since I don't do many action shots

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.