Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BunsenHoneydew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
Hey,

I'm hoping someone here can help me out. I just got a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D lens for my D80, and I can't get it to autofocus :( I have the AF/M switch on my camera set to AF, and there doesn't appear to be any similar switch on the lens body.

Any help would be appreciated!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Have you tried going into the menus of your D80 and checking to make sure AF was not turned off there? I don't have a D80 so I am not sure if you can control something like that from the menus.

Do you have another camera to try it out on?

BunsenHoneydew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
It doesn't appear that there's any type of menu for that. Sadly, I don't have another camera to try it out on. My other lens, which is AF is working as normal with AF though.

cosmokanga2

macrumors 6502a
I don't have a 50mm but I have a D80. Is there not a switich on the lens for af/m?

If not, check the lenses contacts to make sure they are free of dust and dirt.

I'm not sure if the 50mm has it's own focus motor, but could that be the problem, either the one in the lens or the one on the body?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Pretty sure the 50 mm 1.8 has a silent wave focus motor. There is no switch though.

Clean the contacts as suggested, since you can rule out camera malfunction your next step would be to see if you can focus the lens manually. If you can do that I would say your motor failed. How long have you had the lens?

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
sorry , but the Nikkor 1.8D does in fact not have a motor. The D80 has a motor. Does the other lens that you Autofocus with have a built in Motor or is it a "cheaper version"? I mean is is a newer AF-S VR (HSM for Sigma) lens?

The 1.8D should autofocus perfectly on the D80 and since it has no motor built in, I am guessing the motor in your camera failed.

//FR

BunsenHoneydew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
Huzzah! Cleaning the contacts must have done it!

I just got it today, so it's brand-spanking new. I was really worried I wouldn't get it replaced before my vacation!

Thank you! xo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.