Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Hello,
Since I bought my Nikkor 18-200 mm VR lens I doubt I will be using the 18-55 mm lens that came with my D50 anytime soon. With that said should I keep it for a rainy day or would it be better to sell it to someone that would put it to better use? What I also have but won't get rid of is the Nikkor 50 mm which I really like so that one is a keeper as is the 18-200 mm. Once the Tokina 11-16 mm becomes readily available then that will be added to my bag but will I be missing or have a gap that most others have found out themselves?
Most of the photos I tend to take are either within 10 ft. or pretty far away so I don't get the hurt put on me (mostly by me :eek:) or because I couldn't get close even if I wanted to.
Thanks for the advise.

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
UK™
the 18-55 doen't sell for a Lot, best thing to do is put it in your camera bag, there will come a time when you'll want to use it, plus anything happens to the 18-200 you got a lens to use for a while, thats what i kept the 18-70mm for, anything happens to my 70-200 then i've a lens to use for a while :) before i get another lens or any repairs need doing.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I vote for keeping it as well. You can't rely on having only one lens anyway. Electronics fail and you may be happy to have that little one around at a later date.

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
I would keep it as it doesn't really sell for that much.. Plus it's always good to have an extra lens handy if anything should happen.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Well, I bought a used D70 body and I needed a cheap standard zoom to go with it, which the 18-70 from the D70 kit is not, so I got one of these 18-55 in excellent shape for less than what it would cost new.

The bad thing is that DxO has the D50+18-55 or the D70+18-70 combination, but not D70+18-55.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Why would anyone buy that lens? I've always wondered about that.

I think its a great little lens for what it costs ($80 or so used). I put it on my backup body and beat it around for 4000 shots and it held up beautifully. The 18-70 is a better choice, but it costs double.

Canon's 18-55, thats a different story. The non IS version is really awful. Nikon's kit lens, on the other hand, is pretty solid.

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
I think its a great little lens for what it costs ($80 or so used). I put it on my backup body and beat it around for 4000 shots and it held up beautifully. The 18-70 is a better choice, but it costs double.

Canon's 18-55, thats a different story. The non IS version is really awful. Nikon's kit lens, on the other hand, is pretty solid.

True, but for $80 you can get an excellent used Nikkor 1.4.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Well, the non-VR version sells for around $100 (US) new. What would you get for a used one - maybe half that? If you sell to a camera store, it'll be even less.

Think about the logistics for a minute. If you sell to a camera store, then it's just one trip - so you're ahead maybe 30 or 40 bucks. If you sell locally on Craigslist (for example), then you may have to go somewhere to meet potential customers a few times. You might get 50 or 60 dollars, but you'll probably be spending at least half that in terms of gas, your own time (people never factor this in; but how much is your time worth?), and so on.

In the end I'd just hang onto it. At some point you might want to have it around - who knows?

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Well, the non-VR version sells for around $100 (US) new. What would you get for a used one - maybe half that? If you sell to a camera store, it'll be even less.
In the end I'd just hang onto it. At some point you might want to have it around - who knows?

I was leaning that way unless I could get a nice deal on the Tokina at the local shop and trade that one in towards it but it's not a pressing issue really. Put it away for a rainy day for now and see what happens.

cube I'd trade it for a 50mm f1.4 or f1.8
I have one already which I got last year after reading up on it and seeing some nice photos.
Abstract Why would anyone buy that lens? I've always wondered about that.
I got a great deal on the body with kit lens at the local shop and at that time they didn't offer a very good price on any other lenses but I do wonder the same thing after using it for a few years even at the casual level. Most family events it's been better to have my 50 mm on and just move to where I need to be. Now with the 18-200 mm I just got those functions are more than covered.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hello,
Since I bought my Nikkor 18-200 mm VR lens I doubt I will be using the 18-55 mm lens that came with my D50 anytime soon.

There are not many buyers for the 18-55 as "everyone" already has one. But when it comes time to sell the D50 it will sell faster if it is complete with a lens. Pack it up well so it still will look good.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Why would anyone buy that lens? I've always wondered about that.

The Nikon 18-55 is very good. It's only problem is that it is slow at f/5.6. But other then that, within the 18-55 range and f/5.6, it compares well to other lenses. It typically sells new for about $100. Hard to find a better quality to cost ration than that. For many people the 18-55 range is all they really need.

The newer Nikon 18-55 VR is not quite as good as the old 18-55 but Niokn had to come out with a VS to compete with Canon's 18-55 IS. The Nikon VR lens suffers more from lens flair than the older 18-55, likely because of the extra elements inside.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.