Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PossomBrown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2009
I just bought a new 50mm for my D60 and keep getting this message on my screen. "Lock Lens Aperture ring at minimum aperture (largest f number)" Even while shooting in manual I get this message unless my aperture ring is locked at 22. Whats going on?

Any thoughts are appreciated thanks

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I just bought a new 50mm for my D60 and keep getting this message on my screen. "Lock Lens Aperture ring at minimum aperture (largest f number)" Even while shooting in manual I get this message unless my aperture ring is locked at 22. Whats going on?

Any thoughts are appreciated thanks

You need to keep the apperture ring set to the minimum setting on that body. Other bodys allow you to set the f-stop by turning the ring but on your D60 you set the f-stop using control wheel on the body, not the ring on the lens.

So just do what the message is telling you to do. I think there is even a lock on the aperture ring so it stays at that setting. You dont need to use the lock but if you have a D60 it is best to lock it and forget about it.

PossomBrown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2009
You need to keep the apperture ring set to the minimum setting on that body. Other bodys allow you to set the f-stop by turning the ring but on your D60 you set the f-stop using control wheel on the body, not the ring on the lens.

So just do what the message is telling you to do. I think there is even a lock on the aperture ring so it stays at that setting. You dont need to use the lock but if you have a D60 it is best to lock it and forget about it.

Thanks. A simple solution to a silly question.

advan031

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2008
I hope that you are aware that it won't autofocus with you D60 but other than that it's a fantastic lens.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

Actually, every Nikon body since at least the 8008s film body wanted you to set the aperture on its smallest setting and control the settings from the camera (close to 20 years.) Even old AF-D lenses that won't AF on the D60 have a lock at the smallest aperture for this- while you could use the aperture ring on many older bodies, it is actually less useful than letting the camera control it, as you can use the wheel on many bodies to change the shutter/aperture settings "in step" with one another.

I think it's been necessary for any of the non-manual modes, but I don't recall ever having my aperture off of the smallest setting on my 8008s, S3Pro, D200 or D2x bodies. (IOW, it's more a Nikon thing than a D60 thing.)

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
Actually, every Nikon body since at least the 8008s film body wanted you to set the aperture on its smallest setting and control the settings from the camera (close to 20 years.)

Yes, in fact it started even earlier with the Nikon FA in 1983, which was the first Nikon to offer shutter priority and program modes. You had to set the lens to minimum aperture for these modes to work.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
I think it's been necessary for any of the non-manual modes, but I don't recall ever having my aperture off of the smallest setting on my 8008s, S3Pro, D200 or D2x bodies. (IOW, it's more a Nikon thing than a D60 thing.)

I can't speak for the older cameras, like the 8008s, though I suspect in that era you had to set the aperture with the ring, if you wanted to use aperture priority or manual. This isn't the case today clearly, the D60 and some of the other cameras of that ilk freak out of you take the aperture ring of the smallest aperture, on cameras like the D200 you can do either, at least, I can on my S5 and could on the D1h I used recently (though there it was a menu option). I suspect it depends whether the camera controls the aperture electronically or mechanically?

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
I am. What an incredible little lens it is though.

Couldn't agree more, especially for the price. It has to be one of the best value lenses in Nikon's range. I bought one as a cheap portrait lens for my D80. Sure, the 1.4D is technically a better lens and probably better made, but I couldn't justify the extra cost for what is a 75mm equivalent.

However, when I was on 35mm film I went the other way, justifying the extra cost of a 1.4AIS over the 1.8 because it was a standard focal length, hence more widely used.

Hope you enjoy the 1.8D :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.