Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I just bought one though I haven't really had a chance to shoot much with it yet (nothing I want to share, anyway). Ken Rockwell RAVES about it as one of the best inexpensive pieces of glass you can buy. My only complaint is that it's kind of slow (f/4-5.6), but you're certainly not going to do any better for ~$180. In terms of optical quality, it seems quite good. Just not the best for low light. For the money, I don't think there's a better zoom in this range.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
I've been quite happy with the lens. It was certainly worth the money IMO (which is not much!). It seems quite sharp for the price.

The VR gives me about 2 stops (when desperate I can handhold down to about 1/10th; combined with ISO 800 that gives me the ability to do a night shot when I forget my tripod).

The drawbacks I found are:

it is a little slow to focus, but if I set the camera to dynamic I can still reliably get sports shots.

On auto-focus you can't "tweak" the focus like you can with my 18-70

I would like a wider aperture, but it certainly fits in with anything else in that price range.

Here are some I've taken...

Best case scenario, good lighting and a stationary subject:

Sunning Koala

Worst case, night time action shot, requiring a high ISO

Goal Denied!

This is taken at 200mm on a tripod, but the photo has been cropped from its original 10mp size to an approx 1.5mp to give the impression of a macro. The spider was actually 1/2 way up a fairly large tree:

Boris the spider

A couple more random ones...

Flowers
Eagle

PixelFactory

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2003
Chicago
Not a bad lens. I generally use it when I don't want to carry my 80-200 around. The VR is OK, but won't help you in sport photos.

I took this last summer.

528169253_aa6ea8a0cf.jpg

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
that's very nice bokeh. How's the distortion? I was considering the 18-200 but it's got very bad distortion, or so I read.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
^ In his review, Rockwell noted that the distortion on the 18-200, while not horrible, is more than that at the same focal lengths on the two separate lenses (18-55, 55-200).

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Judging strictly from reviews and what has been said about this lens, this lens is a better choice than the much more expensive 70-300 mm VR lens, since it's not sharp from 200-300 mm anyway.

It seems like a real winner, and may be my next lens. :)

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Got out and snapped a few pictures in between frisbee games with the new 55-200 VR in a neighborhood park today. Here's one of the decent ones (pure coincidence that it also happens to be of a goose, PixelFactory ;) )

And then some idiot kid kicking it a little while later. I was sitting across the pond, probably about 75 feet away. Not a great picture, barely had time to raise the camera when I saw what he was about to do, but it's at 200mm:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.