Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lacoste-rocker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I am about to receive a Nikon D100 sometime buy next friday.
Does anyone have this camera? What can I expect from it ?
This will be my first D/SLR is this a good one to start off with?
Thank you for your time.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You can expect it to take pictures but the advancement in technology since the D100 (which was a well-regarded camera when it was introduced) has advanced so much you may find yourself happier with another camera. Or is this free?

Low light will be your biggest issue no doubt.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
I've shot probably 10-15,000 frames on a D100 at work. We hate the damn things, particularly in relation to what else is on the market now. Our major gripes?

1) No sensor cleaning, and no matter how much we swab, the sensors are always mucky.
2) Inconsistent white balance on preset. We have these in a studio environment, and they just seem to have a mind of their own and go "yellow" gradually.
3) Build. Now, bear in mind our D100s are a good age now, but they're falling apart. We've had several in the last six months fail, one way or the other and get binned.
4) Quality. You can't take them past ISO 400, the screens on the back are awful and bear no relation to what you've shot, and 6mp is bordering on insufficient.

We much prefer our D200/300s cameras, along with the D700 and D3 series.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
When I got my first DSLR the D100 was still pretty expensive. I got the D70 at the time, which took broadly similar photos but was a bit more refined in many areas, despite being cheaper. With a reasonable lens (are you getting a lens with this!?) and a bit of technical skill I don't see why a D100 couldn't still take great photographs if the camera itself is in good condition.

Would I buy one? Almost certainly not, unless it was very cheap. As the others have said, technology has moved on, certainly screens are a lot bigger and the batteries with this one might need replacing. I'd probably be least concerned about the improvements in image quality, which might sound a bit odd, but I could work around the noise at higher ISOs, and I don't need more than 6mp.

An XBOX isn't worth that much, right? It's probably a fine deal, but check the lens.

lacoste-rocker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Thank you for all your responses.
It does come with a lens.
I think I am getting a pretty good deal here just for my xbox. If I end up hating this camera I will sell it and put the money towards a newer one.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
You can easily compare the ebay price of your xbox with the price of a D100 in whatever condition. Let us know which lens you get when you get it. There is massive variation.

lacoste-rocker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Here it is. this is the exact camera I am getting.
camera.jpg

camera-1.jpg

He says its in perfect condition.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
free grass blades in the lens, i see. Sweeten the deal?

As others' have stated, the D100 was a great camera when it was released in 2003(?). It will be horribly slow and perform subpar in low light (high ISO situations) compared to todays' cameras. Will still take great pictures, no doubt. Have fun! What lens did you get>?

lacoste-rocker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
Atlanta, GA
free grass blades in the lens, i see. Sweeten the deal?

As others' have stated, the D100 was a great camera when it was released in 2003(?). It will be horribly slow and perform subpar in low light (high ISO situations) compared to todays' cameras. Will still take great pictures, no doubt. Have fun! What lens did you get>?

Lol
I'll ask him what type of lens it is I honestly have no idea I wont get it until thursday or friday of next week.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
I think sometimes people get spoiled with how fast technology moves, but I'll just say that when this camera was introduced it was a fine camera, and it still is. It's just that the newest stuff has gotten progressively better in several ways. But, since it's your first dSLR, you will find it to be pretty darn decent. I still have my D50 from several years ago (6 megapixel) and it still takes as good a picture as it did when it was new, and they were good then. Don't be over influenced that it's a bad camera, it's all relative. A new generation of that camera costs $1500+ (body only,) and Peskaa should prefer the D300s ($1599 -body only,) D700 ($2399 -body only) and D3 ($4000+ -body only) cameras over the D100, it's like comparing apples and oranges, so take that into consideration. Heck, I prefer them too, but can't afford most of them. The lens looks decent, better than the D3000 kit lens. The only folks who would really be unhappy with an excellent condition D100 and that lens are those who have already been using the newer stuff. That won't matter to you for a while, seriously. Use it, learn how to shoot, then you can upgrade down the line. I still have my D50, and use it along with my D300. Unless you're intent is to print huge prints, you won't really need anything bigger than a 6mp camera. Believe me on this one. You came out ahead on your deal trading for a used Xbox.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
The Nikon D100 was a very good camera. However, it's old and dated technology. If you just want to peek into the world of dslrs, it may be a way to dabble into the world photography. Also, depending on the condition of the camera (number of clicks, etc.), it may not last forever. Think of getting a 15 year-old car. ;)

You can take good pictures with it, but you will have much stricter limits than with the cameras today. I'd just try it. One advantage you do have is that the body is based around the F80 which means you have no childish picture modes (which you don't need anyway) and it has a very efficient layout for the `analog part' of the functionality (I used to own a F80).

People get spoiled with the technology they have nowadays: AF systems with 9+ AF sensors in `small' dslrs, 4+ fps, ISO 6,400, etc. The specs of the D100 remind me more of a film camera ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.