Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kksolano

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2006
london
i'm still using a 35mm camera just for my speciality in Black & White photography... (nikon F80) Will the new Nikon D200 be closest to my F80?
or would i be better going with the Nikon D70s?
What are the differences?

ScubaDuc

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2003
Europe
kksolano said:
i'm still using a 35mm camera just for my speciality in Black & White photography... (nikon F80) Will the new Nikon D200 be closest to my F80?
or would i be better going with the Nikon D70s?
What are the differences?

I would say that it would depend on how many Nikkor AI lenses you've got in your collection. You can use old lenses with the D200 but not with the D70 unless you give up the exposure metering. Also, there would be a 1.5x multiplication factor for the lenses. I sort of sidestepped the issue and bought a Coolpix scanner. I wonder how many now have heard of TMax :rolleyes:

kksolano

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2006
london
ScubaDuc said:
I would say that it would depend on how many Nikkor AI lenses you've got in your collection. You can use old lenses with the D200 but not with the D70 unless you give up the exposure metering. Also, there would be a 1.5x multiplication factor for the lenses. I sort of sidestepped the issue and bought a Coolpix scanner. I wonder how many now have heard of TMax :rolleyes

I never knew i could use my older lenses without loosing focal length! (is that normally write with DSLR cameras?) If so, then thats really cool... Know any good books / guides for Camera Switchers?

ScubaDuc

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2003
Europe
kksolano said:
ScubaDuc said:
I would say that it would depend on how many Nikkor AI lenses you've got in your collection. You can use old lenses with the D200 but not with the D70 unless you give up the exposure metering. Also, there would be a 1.5x multiplication factor for the lenses. I sort of sidestepped the issue and bought a Coolpix scanner. I wonder how many now have heard of TMax :rolleyes

I never knew i could use my older lenses without loosing focal length! (is that normally write with DSLR cameras?) If so, then thats really cool... Know any good books / guides for Camera Switchers?

The 1.5x factor I was referring to is what impacts your focal lenght when you go from a 24x36mm reflex to a Nikon digital. It does not happen with all DSLR as it depends on the size of the CCD (Canon has a native 24X36 CCD) Whether one looses or gains in focal lenght is a matter of which range you are interested. The Nikkor 20 mm becomes a 30mm on a digital and the 200 IF a 300mm. The difference is that while you can use the old lenses on the D200, albeit at their new focal lenght, you will have no exposure metering if u use AI lenses with the D70.

asdf123

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2004
ScubaDuc said:
wonder how many now have heard of TMax :rolleyes:

I have....i love TMax film and only use it for black and white photography. ps: where in europe are you, not firenze by chance?

crazydreaming

macrumors 6502a
asdf123 said:
I have....i love TMax film and only use it for black and white photography. ps: where in europe are you, not firenze by chance?

I too have been shooting with TMax, but lately I've been liking Illford films. I haven't been doing much darkroom printing, been scanning my negatives and working digital.

For that reason I too am eyeing the D200. Seems like a really good way to go, and from people I've talked to its worth the extra price over the D70 if you are serious about Photography.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
kksolano said:

With Nikon you can use you old manual lenses. What happens with the focal lenght is easy to explain: A 35mm frame is 36mm by 24mm. the D200/D70/D50 has a 24mm by 16mm frame size. So itacts like a "crop" Your old 50mm f/1.4 lens still projets a 36x24 image but the digital sensor only sees the center of that. the effect is that the 50mm lens acts like a 75mm lens (sort of)

We call it a 1.5x "crop factor". The lens actually retains it's focal lenght

All of the Nikon digital camera are different enugh from your F80 that "being like an F80" should not factor in. But that said, All later Nikon SLRs have the same "feel".

kksolano

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2006
london
crazydreaming said:
I too have been shooting with TMax, but lately I've been liking Illford films. I haven't been doing much darkroom printing, been scanning my negatives and working digital.

For that reason I too am eyeing the D200. Seems like a really good way to go, and from people I've talked to its worth the extra price over the D70 if you are serious about Photography.

Ilford is really great! i like the DELTA range... but still, working with 50iso film is a great plesure! using really long exposures and getting arty..

on the D200, its great! cheaper then the new Cannon 5D which is 12 million pixels but £2000 more expensive. But shooting in RAW format, theres no visable difference.. Saying that; can the same be said with 12megapixels to 8megapixels?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
ScubaDuc said:
you will have no exposure metering if u use AI lenses with the D70.

Technically you are right. But a DSLR is the "worlds best exposure meter". You can take a test shot and then look at the histogram display and then know _exactly_ how to adjust the exposure to get it dead-on. My hand held meters are quite dumb compared to my D50. The test shot lets you know where both highlights and shadows will fall something you would otherwise need a spot meter for

That said the AIS lenses are not so usable under changeing and unstable lighting but for subjects like posed portraits, macros and landscapes or any subject that does not move fast some older lenses are woth keeping my 105mm f/2.5 AIS and my 55mm "micro nikor" can still do good work on my D50.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.