Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdechavez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
My friend is offering me his Nikon D2H. It has a sensor of 4.1 megapixels and was wondering how come this has a lower MP count than the D2. Is it any good? He's giving it to me at a very good price of $1000. Any thoughts on this cam?

Thank you!

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
My friend is offering me his Nikon D2H. It has a sensor of 4.1 megapixels and was wondering how come this has a lower MP count than the D2. Is it any good? He's giving it to me at a very good price of $1000. Any thoughts on this cam?

Thank you!

Unless you're getting a nice lens or a bunch of accessories or something along with the camera body, you can do a lot better for a $1000 these days.

pdechavez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
Unless you're getting a nice lens or a bunch of accessories or something along with the camera body, you can do a lot better for a $1000 these days.

I already have a bunch of lenses from Nikon And sigma all, F2.8 and below so thats taken care of. I just want to know if the D2H image quality is good for a 4 MP.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
What he's saying is that there are better cameras for a thousand bucks.

Don't buy that camera, take your money and buy a better one.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
That's way too much money, in my opinion. For a few hundred dollars more, you could buy a D300 - which is arguably a significantly better camera than the D2H.

Addendum: Adorama has an excellent condition used D2H for under $700. That should tell you something.

pdechavez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
That's way too much money, in my opinion. For a few hundred dollars more, you could buy a D300 - which is arguably a significantly better camera than the D2H.

Addendum: Adorama has an excellent condition used D2H for under $700. That should tell you something.

I've already got the D300 and looking for a secondary camera. I'd like to use my DX format lenses on a professional quality camera with at least 8 frames shooting. BTW: hes offering it to me for $700 now.

jake-g

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
ummm... Why not get a grip for your d300? That camera is garbage. It has absolutely no benefit over your d300. Why waste money buying old technology? Buy some glass or save up for a new body.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I've already got the D300 and looking for a secondary camera. I'd like to use my DX format lenses on a professional quality camera with at least 8 frames shooting. BTW: hes offering it to me for $700 now.
You already have a camera that can do 8 fps: get the battery grip and the professional batter for the D300 and it's as fast (in terms of fps) as the D2H :)

pdechavez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
thank you all for your replies. I understand fully what you're all saying but Im looking for a secondary camera.

- I already have the grip so i do a lot of sport shooting at 8fps
- Instead of changing lenses, i need another camera which can shoot at an equivalent rate of 8 frames
- reviews claim that the 4.1mp sensor isnt the average 4 mp sensor found on old cameras.
- Buying another camera would end up at over $800 anyway and but be slower in terms of shooting frames per second.

I know its an old camera but I just want to know if itsa good one.

Thank you all

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
We didn't know you already had the grip ;)
- reviews claim that the 4.1mp sensor isnt the average 4 mp sensor found on old cameras.
Well, the sensor is good, but if 4 MP is enough for your needs, we don't know. It's certainly enough for sports pics in newspapers. I've had a few 3, 4 and 5 MP pictures blown up (they were from the early stages of digital camera development ;)), but these days, people have heightened expectations.

Pikemann Urge

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2007
melbourne.au
I don't have a D2H... but I sure as hell would love one! I love this camera. It's pretty much one of my favourite DSLRs. The pro series cameras are built like tanks. The image quality is very, very good. And it has a capacious frame buffer.

I'm using a D1X ATM only because I can't justify a D2H - I'm not taking enough pictures these days.

The D2H may not be suitable for stock photography but for portraits, sports, events and photojournalism, it's great. IMHO. :)

BTW see DPReview's review:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond2h/

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
The D2H is a great camera. I've had one for years, although don't use it much now (have D3). Very rugged, very reliable (as long as it's had the metering circuit board update). $1000 seems a little steep - especially relative to other, newer Nikons. $500 would be a really stellar deal on that camera, I see them going for around $700, which would be reasonable. $1000...not so much.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy that camera for $700 if the body is in excellent condition, has relatively low shutter actuations, updated FCB, and not hot/dead/stuck pixels on a 400 ISO shot of the inside of the lens cap.

N10248

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
Essex, U.K.
I'm on my second D2h (I sold my 1st one for a profit!!! before christmas) - neither of them have had any metering faults.

I've had a D50, D1, D40, D100, but preferred the D2H to all of them, true its heavy and won't fit in my pocket buts its durable and easy to use - it has a dial and switch for everything, a huge viewfinder and the battery lasts for ages.

I don't really need a lot of Pixels as most of what i use it for ends up on a website as a fairly small image so being 4mp isn't a problem.

It's only real bad point is a lot of noise on anything above iso 600ish and the auto white balance can get easily confused indoors.

$1000 is possibly a tiny bit too much for just the body though - i paid slightly less for one with 2 batteries and not a scratch or mark on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.