Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
Hello,

It seems that when this combo doesn't retain the correct aperture/exposure etc settings?

When would this be supported?

Thanks,

r.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Eventually Apple will get around to providing an update which includes the appropriate software so that Aperture can open and work with the D3/D300 RAW files. In the meantime I've been either shooting jpg and running those through Aperture or shooting RAW and running them through CS3.

uberfoto

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2006
Same here.

It's frustrating waiting for this update... (!!!!)

In the mean time I have been shooting raw on one card and jpg on the other. I import my nef's into the original spot I use on my external HD and then import the jpg's into Aperture. At least I am able to use Aperture to catalog and sort them this way and if need be (on an individual basis) I can throw a nef into CS3.

You might want to consider shooting raw+jpg for the time being.

the Helix

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2003
Forget it, it won't come for a while

Apple is not even at the PMA. It will be a while before support of the new Nikons (D3 and D300) and Sony and Olympus cameras will be out. You might as well move on to Adobe© Lightroom or CS3.

the Helix

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2003
Yeah, but...

Support is under OS not Aperture....So wait for 10.5.2 not Aperture 2.0

Although what you say is true, it is still a cop out for Apple because they did not have to make Aperture wholly dependant on OS X.

There are other applications already supporting the Nikons, Canons, Olympus, Pentax, etc... under the existent system version. Apple does not have to make Aperture a "slave" to OS X.

If we professional photographers need to wait for every Apple OS update to have our constantly updated equipment supported.... well, no thanks. My clients and customers need their photographs now. They won't wait for every Apple OS update to get their photographs. Lightroom, Capture NX, and a whole host of other professional apps. understand that. That is why today, they support Nikon, etc... even under OS X 10.5.1.

As far as professional photographers are concerned, Aperture "pretends" at being an app. for us. What makes an app. "pro" is not just what it can do, but most especially what it is actually delivering. Aperture is not delivering and we don't need a cop out such as wait for the OS X update.

bobt

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2006
Bozeman, Montana
Aperture is a dying or dead product. If Apple was still serious about Aperture, they would not have let the camera support fall by the wayside. Too many professionals are moving away from the product because of the lack of support and Apples arrogant "we won't tell you when we will support current professional cameras."

I don't believe a company the size of Apple would allow this to happen unless they were planning on dropping the product or maybe combining some of it in iPhoto and ignore the pro market. They are allowing too many customers to move to other solutions such as Lightroom. Just can't imagine this would be ok to lose market share over small issues if they wanted to keep Aperture around for a long time.

We probably will see d3/d300 support and other cameras added to 10.5.2 and even an Aperture 2.0 in the not too distant future. However, I really doubt Aperture will be even considered a serious product if it is even around in a couple of years.

I hope I'm wrong since I like Aperture but time will tell.

Rotary8

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2006
get Lightroom. I have both and think Lightroom is much better. I'm sure d300 is supported too.

orf

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2008
lightroom has bad converter

get Lightroom. I have both and think Lightroom is much better. I'm sure d300 is supported too.

I have tried the d300 nef files on the adobe acr engine as well as bibble and capture one, and held it up against nikon's own raw converter. It is obious to me that nikon's converter is different from all the mentioned. Converted images from NX turn out more natural and filmlike, especially with high iso images, while all the other ones show curious plastic-like or fractal like small worms, smearing out micro-details. This is very bad for high iso images, and forces me to use only nikon nx when converting high-iso. Beware of the upcoming converter-type for APPLE!

bobt

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2006
Bozeman, Montana
I have tried the d300 nef files on the adobe acr engine as well as bibble and capture one, and held it up against nikon's own raw converter. It is obious to me that nikon's converter is different from all the mentioned. Converted images from NX turn out more natural and filmlike, especially with high iso images, while all the other ones show curious plastic-like or fractal like small worms, smearing out micro-details. This is very bad for high iso images, and forces me to use only nikon nx when converting high-iso. Beware of the upcoming converter-type for APPLE!

Maybe, just maybe this long wait with Apple means that they are going to have a decent RAW converter for the D3/D300.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.