Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
Off the internet - not too hard to find with a google search. Says it's in stock now, too.

Obviously it's body only, but why not just buy that and spend the $680 on the 18-200mm lens separately? End up saving a LOT over the bundled package.

Or is this probably too good/obvious to be true? Bad idea?

yeroen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2007
Cambridge, MA
IF IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE THEN IT IS
It is well known that these places are scams. After you give them your credit card number, you'll get a phone call from the store wanting to 'verify' your order. The scam starts when they attempt to sell you accessories that come with the camera (e.g the battery) at absurdly inflated prices, so much so that you'll end up paying more than if you bought it from a reputable dealer. If you hold your ground and say 'no, i just want the body', you'll be abused and threatened and they'll either say the camera is out of stock or they'll cancel your order and charge your credit card for a large "restocking fee".

Type in 'brooklyn camera scam' in Google and see what you come up with (camera scams are a brooklyn cottage industry).

TimJim

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
That looks to good to be true...

Buy from a reputable site; Amazon, Ritz Camera, etc.

There's plenty that are in stock.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Careful - that web site was registered just a few months ago.

Whenever a new piece of hot camera equipment comes out, there are always some scam sites that pop up and try to take advantage of folks. I remember when the Nikkor 18-200 lens came out. They were hard to find, and people were paying a premium for them over on eBay. Well, some enterprising crook set up a scam site and paid for some Google ads, saying they had the 18-200 for something like $550. A number of people fell for it, and I remember reading some sob stories from them afterward.

You really do need to be careful when buying cameras and accessories - there are just so many different ways you can get ripped off. When you have a few hours, just reading through this forum will yield some stories. :(

- Watch out for prices that are too good to be true
- Watch out for sellers that only accept wire transfers or cash

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
"Audio | Camcorders | Cameras | Car Electronics | Cooking Products | GPS | Home Theater | Lenses For Canon | Lenses For Nikon | Limited Edition | Personal Care | Projectors | TV / Displays | Video |"

then:

"Free mp3 player w/earphone & digital slave flash tripod and cleaning system with any order.
MEMORY FRENZY! Purchase ANY Memory Card & We Will Double The Size For FREE!
Buy Any Kit & Get Free 3 Day Shipping!"

Sketchy? I'd say so...

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Its a brooklyn camera scam. I wish there was a warning in web browsers that showed up when you visited these places.

Check the reseller rating, google the above keyword. Everyone in the pro photo world knows about them but the problem is the general public doesn't and gets scammed into buying the OEM battery for an extra $500.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
Hey now - I asked here for a reason.

Obviously not going to buy from a scam place.

Alright then - what's the best and cheapest way to go about buying the D300 with the 18-200mm lens? Suggestions?

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Alright then - what's the best and cheapest way to go about buying the D300 with the 18-200mm lens? Suggestions?

Right now, given the high demand for this camera - your best bet is just to be patient. Thom Hogan thinks Nikon's manufacturing output of this camera is high enough that the big backlogs should be gone by spring (he could be just pulling that out of his hat, though). If you're willing to spend more bucks, you might be able to find it at a local camera store.

I've made limited purchases from Ritz/Photo Alley, but haven't had any problems with them. The reason I mention them is they'll put you on a waiting list, unlike Adorama or B&H.

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
Unless it's a subsidized two-years contract camera body, chances are it's a scam...
Adorama or BH photo are the two places go buy from.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

The very first sticky on this board is titled "Links for camera and lens shoppers." Here's a hint though, if it's significantly cheaper than B&H, it's a scam.

Last I heard Berger Brothers had a few kits in stock ready to go.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
How could you have thought that the price in the link was real? Use common sense, people! The internet world is the same as real life.....you still need to use the common sense that you were born with.

No store is going to offer a good deal on that camera. "Good" can mean anything......it's all relative. I'd say a "good" deal is any price that's under $1800 without being overly cheap, say $1750. Is there such a deal? I don't know.

jlcharles

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
Wenonah, NJ

I responded in the way I did because of your second post which I took to mean that you thought I didn't know what I was talking about.

I'll repeat. There are no deals on camera equipment. If you find a deal, it is a scam. B&H is where I would go. Like compuwar said, if it's more than a few dollars less than B&H you are going to get scammed.

Butthead

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
I responded in the way I did because of your second post which I took to mean that you thought I didn't know what I was talking about.

I'll repeat. There are no deals on camera equipment. If you find a deal, it is a scam. B&H is where I would go. Like compuwar said, if it's more than a few dollars less than B&H you are going to get scammed.

Geez, you'd better tell that to all the people that will fall for this 5D offering from that biggest of resellerratings scam operators CostCo, lol.

Current CostCo 6mo rating on resellerratings is only 6.04/10 from only 12 reviews in that period...obviously one of those fly by night brooklyn, ny operators, yes :p

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11252737&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&N=4001462&Mo=11&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=1236&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&Sp=C&topnav=
$2,099.99
After $500 in Rebates
Canon EOS 5D 12.8MP Canon Pro 9000 Photo Printer & 2-2GB CF

B&H offers the body only 5D for $2,199.99...CostCo gives you the 5D + 2-2GB CF + Canon Pixma Pro 9000 inkjet printer, Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 (not mentioned on B&H in link for what you get in the package) after $500 in Canon mail in rebates = effective total purchase price of ta-dah $2,099.99...gotta to be a scam right?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/397314-REG/Canon_0296B002_EOS_5D_Digital_Camera.html

jlcharles

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
Wenonah, NJ
Costco is a brick and mortar store. The ridiculous deals you find online are not, unless you consider some door in an alleyway in Brooklyn a brick and mortar store.

Chiggs

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2007
If you want a D300 before Christmas, be prepared to pay full retail. If anyone is offering it to you for less, be very afraid. These are in hot demand and there is really no way a dealer needs to discount it. I live in Toronto and picked one up last Friday for Canadian retail ($1869.00 or about $1850 USD.) I had to go to three Nikon delears before I found one in stock. The lady I dealt with told me that staff were barred from buying the camera until after Christmas because of the demand...

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
B&H offers the body only 5D for $2,199.99...CostCo gives you the 5D + 2-2GB CF + Canon Pixma Pro 9000 inkjet printer, Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 (not mentioned on B&H in link for what you get in the package) after $500 in Canon mail in rebates = effective total purchase price of ta-dah $2,099.99...gotta to be a scam right?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/397314-REG/Canon_0296B002_EOS_5D_Digital_Camera.html

Adobe Photoshop Elements v 2.0??? Inasmuch as I think they're now up to v5 or maybe it's 6 in the Windows version and I think v4 or v5 in the Mac version, that's not much of a deal. Don't know anything about that printer but I can tell you that a 2 GB CF card isn't going to go too far on a high-rez full-frame camera!

milozauckerman

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2005
B&H will also sell you the Pixma9k and you get the $500 rebate, putting it right at the same price as Costco.

Only difference would be a couple of $30 CF cards and maybe the software (not sure Elements, even a current version, is terribly useful for RAW files).

And since Costco is brick & mortar nationwide, there's a good chance you'll be paying sales tax on that 'deal' compared to B&H.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.