Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

devincco

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2006
I currently own a Nikon D50. I’ve been happy with it. In fact I was pondering the decision to keep it or to upgrade to a D90. I decided to keep it, get a few lenses and a flash. Now my boss is upgrading from his D300 to a D700. So he offered his D300 to me for $1000. It’s only a couple of months old and includes a 18mm-55mm VR lens, a 4GB CF card, a user manual the size of War and Peace that he purchased along with it., and the balance of the extended warranty he purchased as well. Now this is a heck of a deal. My only draw back is that I haven’t even maxed out the capabilities of my D50. And the D300 is more camera than I probably need. But the price is so hard to resist. Would I be crazy to turn down this offer?

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Yes, you'd be crazy.

Be aware that the mfgr warranty on that camera is only valid to the original purchaser, so if you have to send it back to Nikon, you may have to send it in under his name. The extended warranty is transferrable (for a fee) if it's a Mack warranty, but be aware that getting a Nikon DSLR repaired by them might be a little problematic. I've heard good things about Mack, and bad things.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Yes, you'd be crazy.

Be aware that the mfgr warranty on that camera is only valid to the original purchaser, so if you have to send it back to Nikon, you may have to send it in under his name. The extended warranty is transferrable (for a fee) if it's a Mack warranty, but be aware that getting a Nikon DSLR repaired by them might be a little problematic. I've heard good things about Mack, and bad things.

Unless he sent in the warranty card (which almost nobody does), that's not true. Simply marking "gift" on the Nikon warranty card entitles any US model camera that is technically under coverage to be serviced in your name, even if you don't have a receipt.

Go for it. Its a good price and its from your boss, so you score points both ways.

DYER

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2008
London, UK
I currently own a Nikon D50. I’ve been happy with it. In fact I was pondering the decision to keep it or to upgrade to a D90. I decided to keep it, get a few lenses and a flash. Now my boss is upgrading from his D300 to a D700. So he offered his D300 to me for $1000. It’s only a couple of months old and includes a 18mm-55mm VR lens, a 4GB CF card, a user manual the size of War and Peace that he purchased along with it., and the balance of the extended warranty he purchased as well. Now this is a heck of a deal. My only draw back is that I haven’t even maxed out the capabilities of my D50. And the D300 is more camera than I probably need. But the price is so hard to resist. Would I be crazy to turn down this offer?
Take the D300
I use 2 of them for weddings and they are great cameras. built like tanks as good as if not better than the 2x.
1000 $ is a steal take it

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
No regrets.

I refer to myself, as I bought a D300 and don't regret it at all. I paid $1350 or so for mine, from Cameta. More than what you would pay for it, but mine had only about 500 shots on it. It's a great camera.

I sometimes wish I had a D700, but just for the full frame aspect. The rest overlaps with the D300.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Unless he sent in the warranty card (which almost nobody does), that's not true. Simply marking "gift" on the Nikon warranty card entitles any US model camera that is technically under coverage to be serviced in your name, even if you don't have a receipt.

There is no warranty card for Nikon dSLR camera bodies. You may fill out a card and send it in, or you may "register" the camera online, but that has nothing to do with warranty -- it's nothing more than a marketing survey (and Nikon thanks you very much...with spam and junk mail). Nothing needs to be returned to Nikon.

NikonUSA's website clearly states what's necessary to get warranty service. It has nothing to do with sending in any card, or "registering" the camera in any way. They clearly state the warranty is valid only for the original purchaser, and to get warranty service you must send in the bill of sale for the camera demonstrating proof of purchase and proof of purchase date. Nothing else. (except a letter explaining what's wrong with the camera). So yes...you do need the receipt.

Theoretically, you're supposed to include this form...

http://www.abt.com/images/products/PDF_Files/Nikon_DigitalImaging_Warranty.pdf

but they don't enforce that in my experience.

The OP won't have mfgr warranty coverage on his $1000 used D300. His boss will, but he won't.

///

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
Buy it. Just make sure you keep on good terms with your boss until the warranty runs out.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
The fact that you can get the D300 for so cheap now makes me want to spring for one just for the hell of it.

I wouldn't mind the two extra stops of exposure over my D2xs, although I'd miss the build quality it by going with the D300.

Maybe when the body officially hits $1000 or less I'll pick up one or two to keep my DX lenses happy, and to go along with my soon to be released D3hs. :D

DYER

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2008
London, UK
The fact that you can get the D300 for so cheap now makes me want to spring for one just for the hell of it.

I wouldn't mind the two extra stops of exposure over my D2xs, although I'd miss the build quality it by going with the D300.

Maybe when the body officially hits $1000 or less I'll pick up one or two to keep my DX lenses happy, and to go along with my soon to be released D3hs. :D

i do not think you will miss the build quality with the mb-d10 it is just as sturdy as my D2x and D2hs bloody versatile camera. allthough i will probably pick up some D3's next year as they are a wedding photographers dream but I cannot justify them just yet.

Good luck with the D3hs as I have seen this could take a while just look at the 6 month delay of the D3x

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
I owned a D50, upgraded to a D300.. and I love it! $1000 is a steal, especially with the lens... go for it!

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
with the mb-d10 it is just as sturdy as my D2x and D2hs bloody versatile camera.

errr…*I disagree. The pro bodies are of noticeably higher build quality, but that's not saying the MB-D10 isn't an impressive and well-done attachment.

I paid more than $2K for a D300 and MB-D10 when it was first shipping, and I still don't regret it.

Well, I wish I had a D3, but the D70 I had was crapping out... not much of a decision, given that there was no D700 at the time.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
I wouldn't buy it....

Only as I have a Canon :)

If you have the money available then I don't see why you haven't bought it already :), you can have the D50 for shooting in poor weather or sell online to cover your D300 purchase and get it even cheaper kinda sorta.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I wouldn't buy it....

Only as I have a Canon :)

If you have the money available then I don't see why you haven't bought it already :), you can have the D50 for shooting in poor weather or sell online to cover your D300 purchase and get it even cheaper kinda sorta.

Given the seals of the D300, which are better than the D200 but a good deal, I'd shoot with the D300 in the poor weather.

I do hope most PJ type shooters aren't babying their gear that much?

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
I do hope most PJ type shooters aren't babying their gear that much?

Damn, I hope not. There's nothing like getting nasty with a piece of camera equipment! :) Sometimes I'll go shooting in the rain with my 1V and 40D with weather sealed lenses just to 'see what it'll take'. Yeah, I'm sick.

DYER

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2008
London, UK
errr…*I disagree. The pro bodies are of noticeably higher build quality, but that's not saying the MB-D10 isn't an impressive and well-done attachment.

I paid more than $2K for a D300 and MB-D10 when it was first shipping, and I still don't regret it.

Well, I wish I had a D3, but the D70 I had was crapping out... not much of a decision, given that there was no D700 at the time.

fair enough i guess its a matter of preference but i went down with my D1 and wrecked the aperture base plate and that was from a hight of maybe 1.5 m the d300 survived a drop of about 4 m out of a window onto hardwood floor (yes yes i know the manfrotto heads locking pins are there for a reason) and survived with only a minor dent... mind u the lens (17-55) had to be replaced by insurance...

I still think there isnt much in it but i guess if pushed to use either as a hammer itd be the D2h/x ^^

DYER

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2008
London, UK
Damn, I hope not. There's nothing like getting nasty with a piece of camera equipment! :) Sometimes I'll go shooting in the rain with my 1V and 40D with weather sealed lenses just to 'see what it'll take'. Yeah, I'm sick.

Nah your not sick u just know what your equipment can take ^^
Mind you i still dont take my D300's out in the rain i have protective cases for that (my insurance wont cover me for water damage :mad:)

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
fair enough i guess its a matter of preference but i went down with my D1 and wrecked the aperture base plate and that was from a hight of maybe 1.5 m the d300 survived a drop of about 4 m out of a window onto hardwood floor (yes yes i know the manfrotto heads locking pins are there for a reason) and survived with only a minor dent... mind u the lens (17-55) had to be replaced by insurance...

I still think there isnt much in it but i guess if pushed to use either as a hammer itd be the D2h/x ^^

I do know that the D1 was great, but Nikon skimped on build quality for that breakthrough first generation body. That was the first DSLR to ever look like and feel like a real camera.

Either way, I am happy with the reported sturdiness of the D300 and MB-D10 (which if you search the Nikonian's forum you will find that I hoped for and predicted would come soon after I got my D200). For me, I am sorely used to the all-in-one design of the D2hs/xs. So I am waiting for the D3 to come down dramatically in price, or for a new model to be released or both before I put away the trusty "X"

DYER

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2008
London, UK
I do know that the D1 was great, but Nikon skimped on build quality for that breakthrough first generation body. That was the first DSLR to ever look like and feel like a real camera.

Either way, I am happy with the reported sturdiness of the D300 and MB-D10 (which if you search the Nikonian's forum you will find that I hoped for and predicted would come soon after I got my D200). For me, I am sorely used to the all-in-one design of the D2hs/xs. So I am waiting for the D3 to come down dramatically in price, or for a new model to be released or both before I put away the trusty "X"

Fair enough point taken ^^
You and me both are waiting for D3's to come down in price though the high iso is just freaking awesome

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.