Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
A bit of a broad question, but I like mine. It's outstanding through ISO 800 and very good through 1600. Image quality starts to degrade after that, and it's no match for the D3/x/700 by 3200. Great focus tracking ability, which is something I took awhile to figure out but now use a lot. I like the ergonomics of it a lot, and the positions of most (but not all) the controls.

It's a camera worth getting, if you can afford it. Otherwise, the D90 is a good bet.

seattle

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
I am very happy with mine. It is a fairly big body but it's fast and very good quality. I have had it for a year and a half and it has never given me any trouble and I use almost daily. I bought it with the 18-200mm VR lens.

pdechavez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
A bit of a broad question, but I like mine. It's outstanding through ISO 800 and very good through 1600. Image quality starts to degrade after that, and it's no match for the D3/x/700 by 3200. Great focus tracking ability, which is something I took awhile to figure out but now use a lot. I like the ergonomics of it a lot, and the positions of most (but not all) the controls.

It's a camera worth getting, if you can afford it. Otherwise, the D90 is a good bet.

I already have it, but been wondering what others think about it.

BertyBoy

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2009
Love mine, first rate, and I also have a D3.

Usually with a Nikon 18-70 DX lens on it. If I leave the D3 at home, it sometimes takes the Nikon 70-300 VRII (FX) lens.

If you want to get some idea for how great it is, read the manual. The fuzzy programmable option is worth the purchase price alone for me, it was missing on my old D100.

tiggle

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2006
Hong Kong
I had a D300 and was always a little disappointed with it. I always wanted better high iso. I sold it and got a D700. Now, I truly love my D700, in a way I never warmed to my D300. It feels better to handle and there is a quality to the pictures I really like. They seem more natural and film like. Not a very objective analysis I know!

georgemann

macrumors regular
Nikon D300

I have had mine for about two years now and use both the D80 and the D300 almost daily. The D80 is strictly a backup (the second) camera, every time I am using it with a moving subject, I wish I had that lens on the D300 instead.

Like others have said here, the D300 focusing system is fantastic.

I have to admit though that I am now trying to figure out my upgrade path
to the D700. If it was only the camera, I would have already done it, but the new lenses (I will want to use on the D700) are going to bankrupt me.

George

Rotary8

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2006
i use the d300 during the day or formal shoots with flash indoors. I really love putting tele's on it as I get more reach with 1.5x crop. My d700 gets used at night for high iso. I've been shooting with my d700 so much at high iso I look back at my d300's 800iso and think "man that looks like crap"

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
i use the d300 during the day or formal shoots with flash indoors. I really love putting tele's on it as I get more reach with 1.5x crop. My d700 gets used at night for high iso. I've been shooting with my d700 so much at high iso I look back at my d300's 800iso and think "man that looks like crap"

Yup you are right, previously I am happy with my images shot at ISO 800 and 1600, I consider them pretty decent quality, after using my friend 5D, I said exactly the same thing as you did "man that looks like crap" :eek:

Rotary8

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2006
What's frustrating is the d90's high iso performance is actually sharper than the d300's. D300 noise reduction smears the pixels to hide the noise, sacrificing sharpness. I avoid using the d300 for serious high iso stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.