Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RWil85

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
I've read nothing but great reviews on both of these DSLR's..seemingly both are great beginner cameras and are pretty much equally priced when buying them in comparable kits..I can get each of them with 2 lenses, an 18-55mm and a 55-200mm lens, for roughly $750-800.

My question for those who have experience with or knowledge of either or both cameras would be, which should I buy?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

bubulindo

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
Neither here, nor there...
I think in terms of quality they are very similar, so it really should boil down to how they feel in your hand.

It is one of the most given advices around these forums. Whenever you want to choose a camera, go to the store and try them on your hand. Having a comfortable grip on the camera is priceless. ;)

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Yes, you'll probably be happy with either camera. There are Nikon fans and Canon fans, all willing to state their case for their favourite camera... But, in truth, it doesn't matter very much...

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
As stated several times on your other thread, the release of the D5000 replacement, the D3100, has lowered the price of the D3000 ($450 and $670 on Amazon for the one and two lens kits, respectively). Expect even lower prices once the D3100 is actually available to ship, and don't forget eBay.

FWIW, Ken Rockwell and Thom Hogan both hated the D3000, and they're both Nikon shooters (even though the former is usually full of crap).

chadamorrill

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
I think in terms of quality they are very similar, so it really should boil down to how they feel in your hand.

It is one of the most given advices around these forums. Whenever you want to choose a camera, go to the store and try them on your hand. Having a comfortable grip on the camera is priceless. ;)

+1, especially if someone other than you will be using it also. I would have jumped on the Nikon D90, but my wife liked the feel of the Canon T1i better, so we went with that. I couldn't be happier now; it's an amazing camera.

EDIT: I just did a compare on dpreview.com, and it looks like the Nikon body is heavier by an ounce or so. Part of that could be part of the extra 1/2 in. of screen on the back. Beware, though, that they both have 230,000 dot screens. The extra 1/2 in. on the Nikon will likely look worse at that resolution than on the Canon, with it's smaller, tighter screen.

RWil85

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
Thanks for all of the great info!

Was really looking to get something for this weekend (I have zero patience!) As I'm going away..

I hate to do this to everyone..but I really like the feel/specs of the Nikon D5000..does that blow the others away and make this a no-brainer?

Was maybe thinking about picking up the D5000 - 2 VR lens kit..

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Thanks for all of the great info!

Was really looking to get something for this weekend (I have zero patience!) As I'm going away..

I hate to do this to everyone..but I really like the feel/specs of the Nikon D5000..does that blow the others away and make this a no-brainer?

Was maybe thinking about picking up the D5000 - 2 VR lens kit..

If you are going to shoot things like kids indoors without a flash, the new cameras will probably be a fair bit better. If that's not a big concern, then I'd get what you want, or perhaps consider a D90 with the 18-105m, which will give you better long-term used lens options.

Paul

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Except for the swirl display everything is better on the D3100. ;)

Thought that doesn't mean it's the replacement for the D5000. Though the 5000 was always a bit of a strange model and it may not be needed now that video goes to the bottom of the line. The 5000 had bracketing and a slightly higher continuous shooting speed, iirc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.