Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djarsalan2006

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
New York City
Hey folks !
i hope you're all doing well ..
well, i decided to buy my first DSLR, i'm only going to take pictures with it, so i dont really care about the video capability that D5000 has and i dont care about the Live View feature ..
i went to the store today and tried both of them out, i didnt really understand the difference between them as far as the picture quality ..
as far as the pic quality which one do you guys think is better ? any huge difference ?

thebrain74

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2006
I was in a similar position as yours this winter. However, I had a very limited budget of $500 for both lens and body.
I ended up getting the D3000. It is a fine camera, but I can tell you that I am already trying to figure out a way to get a D90.
The D3000 uses an older CCD sensor from the d40x, d60 range.
The D5000, D90, and D300 use a CMOS sensor that is newer.
The important distinction is that the CMOS sensor handles low light much better in that its high ISO images have much less noise. My D300 and iso800 and especially above is kinda noisy.
You are in a good position to not care about the video as lower end nikons are pretty bad at it. As they are with live view (only Sony really has that figured out).

The D3000 and D5000 have similar control and handling. The D5000 has a few extra features like an intervalometer, exposure bracketing,etc.
The D90 has a much better screen, view finder (bigger), autofocuses with non AF-S (re: often cheaper) lenses, bigger grip, and 2 control dials (so you can adjust shutter and aperture together)

Also you should consider refurbs that have been refurbished by Nikon (a.k.a get them at a reputable seller like B&H photo or Adorama) as I have heard they are great, maybe even better since they are individually checked. That way not only will you save money upfront, but if you outgrow your camera, you can probably sell it for minimal loss.

Personally I got the D3000 kit new because I was able to get it for $440 shipped, but you can get it refurb'd for $375 (and if you are nervous, add a 3 year Mack warranty for $30. which is 2years more than even New from Nikon). I am currently watching ebay prices for the D3000 (do you want mine?:)), and looking at refurbs/forums for D90's.

So to summarize
D3000: $375 (body + kit lens) refurb
D5000: $519 (body + kit lens) refurb
D90: $689 body only refurb

So if you are REALLY cash strapped get the D3000, but I HIGHLY recommend the D5000. But the best value/camera of the bunch is the D90. If your budget can stretch that far (i know many beginners will scoff at its price. I know I didn't even consider it when I was beginning) you would have a great camera that would take great pics and be easy to control.

A few notes. The kit lens is really pretty good for the price. However if you find you need faster shutter speeds, consider the AF-S 35mm f/1.8 for only $200. It is probably the best value in Nikons lens lineup. Likewise the 55-200mm AF-S is a good cheap zoom, but I still haven't gotten it because I have been happy with my 35mm, 18-55, and my sigma 50mm Macro (although a wide angle is tempting me). Use your camera lots before you get more lenses

thebrain74

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2006
I don't know about NewEgg, if it says it is refurbed by Nikon then its fine. BH photo and Adorama are the golden standard among internet camera stores

RHVC59

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Eugene, Oregon
Nikon D5000 refurb sounds good, they have them at B&H you think ?
what about the refurb one they have on NewEgg now, is it any good ?

Newegg is my go to store for any computer purchase! I've had good luck with B&H. Amazon is good too. Free shipping seems to only happen for me from Amazon... Something about living in Alaska:cool:

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I have a Nikon D100, and I have a bunch of fairly nice lenses and accessories (12-24; 70-300 f2/8 VR; SB800; etc)... so I will be staying with Nikon.

I would like to have new body with a built in GPS. I do not think Nikon offers this now, except with a clunky add-on. Has anyone heard of any rumor of this being added to their line?

/Jim

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I have a Nikon D100, and I have a bunch of fairly nice lenses and accessories (12-24; 70-300 f2/8 VR; SB800; etc)... so I will be staying with Nikon.

I would like to have new body with a built in GPS. I do not think Nikon offers this now, except with a clunky add-on. Has anyone heard of any rumor of this being added to their line?

I don't think any dSLR has built-in GPS - but I'd be happy to hear that I'm wrong.

It does seem like it's just a matter of time, though. Digital SLR technology has reached a point of diminishing returns in terms of image quality and traditional camera features - the makers will have to find other ways to differentiate their cameras. For example: the D700 and D3/s already have 51 autofocus points - what will they do next, offer 100? :D

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I don't think any dSLR has built-in GPS - but I'd be happy to hear that I'm wrong.

It does seem like it's just a matter of time, though. Digital SLR technology has reached a point of diminishing returns in terms of image quality and traditional camera features - the makers will have to find other ways to differentiate their cameras. For example: the D700 and D3/s already have 51 autofocus points - what will they do next, offer 100? :D

Not what I wanted to hear... but I am not surprised. It seems that this technology segment moves much more slowly than I am accustomed. I am itching to replace my DSLR (it is 7 years old)... but I really prefer to have an Integral GPS.

/Jim

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Not what I wanted to hear... but I am not surprised. It seems that this technology segment moves much more slowly than I am accustomed. I am itching to replace my DSLR (it is 7 years old)... but I really prefer to have an Integral GPS.

Yeah, I agree with you. Plus what really stinks (from my perspective as a Nikon shooter, anyway) is that none of the add-on GPS units seem to include 10-pin sockets of their own - so if you're using a GPS unit, you can't use a Nikon-compatible remote shutter release at the same time.

Bjørn Rørslett mentioned having one custom made for himself, but it seems silly that would have to even be considered.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
one thing to remember is with the nikon d90 it has a built in AF motor so you can use non-AF lens. (one of the reason i went from the D5000 to the D90)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.