Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hello.there

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Couch
I have a great camera bag - large, well padded with lots of compartments - so my Nikon D40 should (gulp) travel safely. Just wondering, though, if there are any hard (preferably neat) cases you could recommend for use when I'm out and about taking photos, when I don't want to take the bag with me? One that would withstand something like, say, a nuclear attack would be great - if not I'd settle for one that would protect the camera when, inevitably, I trip and send it flying. Thanks.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I have quite a few Pelican cases. Buy one that will hold the camera bag. Then when you transport your gear just put the bag in the case it don't matter if someone drops a load of bricks on the case or if it falls in the water. You can stand on the case to shoot over the heads of others in a crowd. Lots of times I've been unable to hand carry my stuff. Pelican cases will stand up to any a baggage handler can do.

I use camera gear on boats and saltwater is the death of any electronics. Even the smallest amount Pelican cases are about the only way to store camera gear on boats and keep the splash and spray off the gear.

They are warranted forever, no matter what. The factory is near my house and I've had good service. They will replace anything on the spot, no receipt or anything required.

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
I've several Peli cases (1610, 1630, 1490) and they are great, except for one thing: the weight. For small equipment, you'll only need a small case, and it shouldn't be a problem, but for something bigger I've worked with Zarges cases, and they are also great and weight much less.

ijurachi

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2008
HPRC cases

Check out HPRC cases. They are better quality than Pelican, just as tough (the rubber seals are a bit better) and they are priced a bit lower too.

hprc-usa.com

seany916

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2006
Southern California
Honestly, if you're shooting a D40, I'll assume that you don't have that much extra gear other than the camera and what fits in your bag.

Pelican cases (& Storm) are awesome solutions for pros and people with a lot of expensive gear to travel with. They are however, heavy & expensive. Don't buy a $250 case to protect a $500 camera.

Stick with the bag you've got and keep it with you for carry-on or keep it in the bag when you place it into the center of your clothing for checked in luggage and hope it doesn't get stolen.

Not to be condescending, but when your lenses are worth 3x more than your camera body, THEN consider a Pelican. Again, heavy and bulky, which make a huge difference on shoots.

Don't worry too much about the camera when it's in a bag. It's when it's in your HAND and when you put it DOWN that it's in the most danger.

I shoot with a wrist strap and it serves me well. I find it funny to watch so many photogs amateur & pro use a neck strap, then TAKE THE STRAP OFF THEIR NECK and basically just shoot with the camera in hand (I use to as well). But watching a fellow "picture-taker" drop his 70-200 2.8 and camera body on the concrete was enough to wake me up. He was cursing the camera for being slippery, but we all know better...

good luck!

Hello.there

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Couch
Thanks to everyone for the replies, really appreciate them, some excellent sounding recommendations. Just to clarify, I already have a large camera bag for the camera itself and everything that goes with it, I'm just interested in a smaller, neater bag/case for the camera alone for when I'm actually out and about taking photos (eg ploughing through mucky fields :)). Thanks again.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Don't buy a $250 case to protect a $500 camera.

You are right on that one. But a Pelican case sized for a small DSLR system is only about $40. I do have a couple large $250 cases with wheels, but right now my D50 is inside a #1200 Pelican case that I bought for $35.

When I was young and poor I used to keep gear in army surplus 50 cal. ammo cases. I bought them for $5 each. I'd test them for water proofness by sinking them in the bathtub over night. I'd put a stack of bricks on top of the case to hold it under water. It they did not leak I'd then paint them white, stencil my name on and glue some 1/4 inch foam inside.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.