Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

etmust

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
I recently purchased nikon d40 camera and it performs very well. However on initial setup i noticed the date was imprinted on each photo which i like.Now for some reason the date appears missing and i have tried and tried to reset date so that it appears imprinted again on each photo.. After many hours of frustration i have finally gave up...Does some whizz kid out there able to help me to activate date so that it appears again on each photo in the bottom right hand corner .
Please please help
Garry.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I'm 99% sure that the camera will not actually "imprint" the date onto the image itself. The date is of course stored *with* the photo in its metadata, and, depending on your settings, can be shown overlayed with the photo on the screen, but very few digital cameras today -- and I'm pretty sure the Nikon DSLRs do not -- provide an option to actually alter the pixels by stamping the date on there. What you may have been seeing was just a display setting, but it wasn't actually altering the photos.

You can have this done via software on your computer; I've never wanted to do it myself so I don't know specifics, but I believe there are programs out there that will do this in batches, or of course you could manually stamp the photos using any image editor. I'm not sure why you would want to though, because once you do you have irreparably changed that image. The date will always be part of the EXIF data, which will be displayed by any competent image editor, so there's usually no need to imprint that info directly into the pixels themselves.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Yeah, the issue here is probably on the computer end for you. Which software were you using when you viewed the photos and saw dates stamped onto them? (Or were you looking on the screen of the camera itself?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.