Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zer0

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2007
I captured an image in RAW + Jpeg Basic. But when I processed the raw file in View NX (with the vivid picture control), the Jpeg output by the application was not the same as the Jpeg captured by the camera. The one output by the camera looks much richer! How can I simulate the cameras image processing on the RAW file?

I want to do this, as I'm trying to use the following work flow

Capture in RAW --> Convert all RAW files to Jpeg and import to iPhoto --> Retain only those RAW files that I might feel requires processing, and process them in LR.

It would have been simple if the D40 had allowed RAW + JPEG fine :(

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
If I understand you're saying that your RAW to JPEG conversion results in "not as good" JPEGs as the ones that come straight from your camera? In other words, it sounds like the settings in your camera for JPEG files is not easily replicated independently. Right?

If this is the case the first thing I would do is try to figure out what settings are applied to JPEGs in-camera. Sharpening, Color, Etc. I do not think you'll ever be able to fully make a jpeg from a raw that looks like the ones you get directly from the camera. I know I've come close.

I would try to maybe import the raws straight into LR and play with the settings there, bypassing View NX all together. Not that View NX is bad, but maybe that'll help.

Also, if you have an example, side-by-side comparison that may be useful.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I captured an image in RAW + Jpeg Basic. But when I processed the raw file in View NX (with the vivid picture control), the Jpeg output by the application was not the same as the Jpeg captured by the camera. The one output by the camera looks much richer! How can I simulate the cameras image processing on the RAW file?

I think the only way to exactly duplicate the camera processing was to use Capture NX. And then don't mess with any of it's controls. All the camer setting for sharpening, white balance and so on are encoded in the NEF file. Nikon's software can read these but Apple's and Adobe's can't. The data is encrypted.

My workflow is simple now, I just import directly to Aperture.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Why do you want to shoot RAW if all you want is emulate the settings of the camera anyway? Wouldn't it be easier for you to just shoot in jpg and the settings you prefer?

Zer0

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2007
If I understand you're saying that your RAW to JPEG conversion results in "not as good" JPEGs as the ones that come straight from your camera? In other words, it sounds like the settings in your camera for JPEG files is not easily replicated independently. Right?

Yes you have me..... here is a side by side comparison. The first one is the raw converted to jpeg and second is the jpeg generated by the camera.

Edit:
Let me also add that the in camera image setting is set to vivid and when I converted the RAW to jpeg, I used the inbuilt vivid control on View NX

Attachments

• J_DSC_1739_R.JPG
    J_DSC_1739_R.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 121
  • J_DSC_1739.JPG
    J_DSC_1739.JPG
    751.3 KB · Views: 124

Zer0

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2007
I think the only way to exactly duplicate the camera processing was to use Capture NX. And then don't mess with any of it's controls. All the camer setting for sharpening, white balance and so on are encoded in the NEF file. Nikon's software can read these but Apple's and Adobe's can't. The data is encrypted.

My workflow is simple now, I just import directly to Aperture.

Thanks for the reply Chris... If that is the case, tough luck I guess. I don't want to invest on capture NX as of now as I have settled on LR.

Why do you want to shoot RAW if all you want is emulate the settings of the camera anyway? Wouldn't it be easier for you to just shoot in jpg and the settings you prefer?

Well... I'm pretty happy with what comes out of the camera most of the times, but every once in a while there is a picture that requires a lot of processing to salvage, and having a RAW of that image would give me more flexibility in editing.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Well... I'm pretty happy with what comes out of the camera most of the times, but every once in a while there is a picture that requires a lot of processing to salvage, and having a RAW of that image would give me more flexibility in editing.
That sounds to me as if you'd rather spend time honing your skills without using RAWs at first. (No offense intended.)

Zer0

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2007
That sounds to me as if you'd rather spend time honing your skills without using RAWs at first. (No offense intended.)

None taken.... I absolutely agree. I'm just a hobbyist and have a lot to learn, but until then, I think this work flow would serve me better. :)

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
None taken.... I absolutely agree. I'm just a hobbyist and have a lot to learn, but until then, I think this work flow would serve me better. :)
I think it's counter productive if you spend a lot of time getting pictures to look as if the camera processed them. Most hobbyists don't need RAWs -- which take up a lot of time and cpu cycles to process.

Zer0

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2007
I think it's counter productive if you spend a lot of time getting pictures to look as if the camera processed them. Most hobbyists don't need RAWs -- which take up a lot of time and cpu cycles to process.

Yes exactly... I don't want to do that. Ideally what I would need is to shoot in RAW + Jpeg (Fine). Import Jpeg's to iPhoto and retain RAW of the ones which I want to process. But since D40 gives only RAW + Jpeg (Basic) which is highly compressed, I'm looking at this workflow.

Best thing would have been if I could just batch export all RAW files into Jpeg using View NX in one go to create high quality Jpeg's as the camera would have produced, and then deleted all the RAW files while retaining only those that require processing. But the RAW converted to Jpeg is not the same as the Jpeg produced from the camera as I mentioned. If there is no easy solution, then in all probability I will be back shooting on Jpeg. I definitely don't want to be spending time working on each RAW file....

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
If you do not want Capture NX, which I understand you have no need for it as a hobbyist, then I would recommend stick with LR and work until you achieve the results you like. Stop looking to replicate what is coming from the camera in the format of a JPEG. You probably can (and will) get better results from LR anyway.

Zer0

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2007
I tried the trial version of Capture NX and it produces identical results as view NX at default settings. I tweaked a few things and managed to get Jpeg almost similar to the one output from the camera. But this is way too much work than what I like :)

I guess I will have to look at a different workflow involving LR. Nevertheless thanks for the replies.

Zer0

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2007
I managed to do it with capture NX. I'm able to produce the same jpeg output from my RAW's as the camera in vivid mode. All I had to do is pump up the Contrast to +20 and Saturation to +4 and export to Jpeg with quality setting at 88. Even the file size is roughly about the same :)

So...

D40 Raw (Vivid mode) + Contrast (20) and Saturation (4) in Capture NX
= D40 Jpeg (Vivid mode)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.