Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hello.there

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Couch
Okay, I know the D40 is largely designed for people like me who spend three days looking for the 'On' button.

And I know it has lots of limitations and there are several dozen cameras out there that are infinitely superior, in every way imaginable.

And I know some of the seasoned old pros say "huh....a beginner's toy".

But - and it's a very big but:

I LOVE IT. :)

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
And I know some of the seasoned old pros say "huh....a beginner's toy".

If you find a "pro" that says this, you can pretty-much ignore them if they say anything else. A camera is a tool, while a good craftsman appreciates the subtleties in good tools, a craftsman can do well with any tool of sufficient quality. A world-class violinist may enjoy and produce unreal music on a Stradavarius, but they'll still do better on a fiddle than an average fiddler will on a Strad.

But - and it's a very big but:

I LOVE IT. :)

A tool that meets your needs that brings out your passion for using it is the right tool.

They were simply wonderful. I'm not crediting myself with any magical photographic skills here (trust me!), it was the combination of a beautiful kid, amazing light, and a camera that makes me regret I didn't buy a DSLR 100 years ago!

The colours, the sharpness, the.....everything. Glorious.

It's funny, I dug out some of my favourite photos I took with my old Canon Powershot G7 - I still love them, but it's only now I'm seeing the difference in quality, it's astounding.

The most expensive thing you can do in photography that doesn't involve the words "birds" is to compare any given tool (lens, camera, printer, tripod...) to any better given tool. It spoils you for life. (Welcome to the club, let us know when you splurge for your first "pro" lens, you're a provisional member until you get bit by that beast!)

I know there are so many cameras out there that could have taken even better shots yesterday, but for all its limitations the D40 struck gold for me. I printed out and framed six or seven of the photos and the grandfather almost passed out. He even brought me in to his house to show me one of them hanging over his mantelpiece. He has the rest sprinkled around the house. I felt like I'd won the Lottery 25 times over.

He thinks I'm a genius now. Honest, I've tried to convince him I'm not (although maybe I didn't try hard enough :) ).

Congratulations! I know I still get a big thrill when someone buys one of my fine art pieces. Make sure you get the grandfather to pose- especially with the granddaughter if he hasn't already, and make sure the family gets those shots too!

Axegrinder

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2006
Preston
Add me to the list!

I agonized for ages whether or not to buy one and now that I have, I wish I'd bought it sooner. No regrets at all.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Nothing wrong with the D40. It's only real limitation is that it can't use all of the available Nikon lenses but for those who would never buy one of those lenses this is a non-issue.

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
Does the 6MP come in to play as a limitation? It seems comparable dSLR's have 8 megapixels?

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Does the 6MP come in to play as a limitation? It seems comparable dSLR's have 8 megapixels?

MP only really matter when you're making very large prints. And for selling point & shoots to unsuspecting consumers who think more megapixels make the picture "better".

The megapixel myth: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

The D40 actually does a little better than the D60 (10 MP) in low-light situations because of its fewer MP's, since more % area of the sensor is capturing light (due to fewer divisions between pixels, since those divisions do not capture any light).

I forget what size exactly 6MP is good for printing, but it's pretty large. Plenty large for most people. Most DSLR users don't choose the camera (or judge it) based on the MP rating.

EDIT: And for the record, I also love my D40 :) It's opened me up to the world of photography. Lots of fun in a relatively affordable package...although it has given me the bad habit of constantly wanting to buy more and more gear! Bag, more memory cards, telephoto lens, remote, tripod, better bag, filters...

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
Ah yes. Reminds me of what someone told me once...

Give me the most advanced carbon fiber bicycle in the world and give Lance Armstrong a Schwinn and he'll still beat the pants off me.

Translation...

It's not the tool but the person using.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

Advantages of lower megapixels:

Diffraction issues at smaller apertures, bigger "well depth" means less noise in low light, better high-ISO for the same generation, fewer technique issues due to movement, less expensive.

Disadvantages:

Less actual resolution in small details, less ability to crop if you didn't bring the right lens, less clear prints at large sizes under the correct viewing distance, more expensive, "sounds" worse when you describe it.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I know there are so many cameras out there that could have taken even better shots yesterday....

That's not true, and anybody who knows about cameras will tell you the same thing. It's like someone telling you that "If you owned a McLaren F1, you could have driven to work 'better'". What would have been "better" about driving to work on a normal rush-hour morning while going the speed limit? It looks cooler, but as a vehicle, I'm sure your car gets you from Point A to Point B equally well.

Enjoy your sexy new Nikon. :) You da man.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.