Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sonia1234321

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
Alright, so I've kind of been wanting to jump into the photography pool for a while now, and I've saved up a nice little chunk o' cash :). I'm interested in buying the Nikon D40. I was looking at ads on Kijiji and stumbled across the following:

Kit Nikon D40 for sale;

-Nikon D40 6.1 megapixels DSLR
-Lens AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
-UV-Haze Filter
-2 battery packs
-Charger
-SD Memory Card 1GB Lexar
-Lowepro bag
-Magic Lantern Guide Nikon D40

Still one year warranty remaining for the D40 and 4 years for the Lens. (Receit included)
Great pictures compared to the price you pay for more Highend models. Excellent for beginners who want to try the art of photography.

450$ for whole kit
Could be available without lens and UV filter for 350$.

-------------------

Sorry, I didn't think it was appropriate to post in the buying advice section because this isn't exactly Apple hardware :p

So, is this deal any good? Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
IMHO, not a good deal. You can buy a new D40 and 18-55 for $445 at B&H Photo and get an actual warranty. Note that Nikon warranty is only valid for the original purchaser, which is the name that's on the original purchase receipt, so you'd be buying a digital SLR with no warranty.

I doubt you'd need two additional battery packs, and the camera comes with a battery charger. A 52 mm haze filter is about $10.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
So you want to buy a used camera system for 90% of the price of a new camera system? I wouldn't, not unless I save a lot more than 10%. Was for those warranties having "a year left". That is not true. Nikon does not allow transfer of Warranty.

If you are going to spend $350 for a used system buy the D50. The D50 has an auto focus motor in the body which allows for a greater lens selection.

The D40 is not a bad SLR body if you don't think you will ever need a body with a built-in focus motor but don't pay almost new price for a used on.

As for what yuo need. Don't bother with a spare battery. You really can get 2,000 exposures from one battery charge and you don't need filters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.