Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techie4life

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
Georgia
I just stumbled upon this guys flickr, where he posts a picture of his new "Nikon D400 prototype". I don't know if this is old news, but it seems pretty sweet.

Nikon D400
-16MP
-GPS
-Built in WiFi
-3.5" multi-touch screen

2142736468_fa29a6f41f_o.jpg

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Given how Nikon is with NDAs, I would take it with more than one grain of salt. D3 prototype users weren't even allowed to show sample images from the camera, let alone of the camera.

Also, Nikon's usual process apparently has multiple prototypes in the field, many of which don't end up being the final camera.

Now a picture of his NDA with Nikon and the appropriate court filing for breaking it- that'd make me believe ;)

Edit: The 4 is a different font and weight than the 00 as well

techie4life

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
Georgia
I get what you are saying, but for some reason, I think this MIGHT be legit. There is another member that posted a picture of what his looks like, but he has the "FX" version, whatever that is. This might be a foreign only camera, seeing as the guy that supposedly has one speaks German (I think). Anyway, I just wanted to post this just in case it ends up being legit.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I get what you are saying, but for some reason, I think this MIGHT be legit. There is another member that posted a picture of what his looks like, but he has the "FX" version, whatever that is. This might be a foreign only camera, seeing as the guy that supposedly has one speaks German (I think). Anyway, I just wanted to post this just in case it ends up being legit.

Given the past history of a lack of leaks of photos of Nikon's new bodies and the font difference that doesn't exist on the D300, I'd say this myth is busted. It's a 'shopped D300. It's almost, but not quite worth checking the jpeg quantization tables to show the edit...

PkennethV

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
Toronto
Why would a camera have GPS? And why a multi-touch screen? Sure multi-touch would be nice to have...but would it really offer anything that traditional screens can't? After all, the LCD is only used for reviewing images and maybe LiveView.

techie4life

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
Georgia
The picture's EXIF shows that it was taken with a D80...
GPS would capture your location along with the picture, I think...
Multi-touch would allow you to zoom in, flip through, rotate, etc...

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Why would a camera have GPS?

It's a great feature. Allows you to later sort images by location. the trouble is the size of the GPS patch antenna and the fact that GPS can't work indoors.

Nikon is like Apple they don't talk about future products and almost all "leaked" images ar fakes.

Also if you know anything about Nikon and their product development cycle they could not be this close to a D400.

techie4life

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
Georgia
The guy says it's only a prototype. I can see why there are questions regarding the picture, and the product cycle, but we'll see....we'll see...

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Why would a camera have GPS? And why a multi-touch screen? Sure multi-touch would be nice to have...but would it really offer anything that traditional screens can't? After all, the LCD is only used for reviewing images and maybe LiveView.

You can get GPS units that plug into current Nikon cameras so the camera can record the location the picture is taken at if it has signal. I'd think a touch screen would suck when you put the camera up to your face to take a picture though.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
It's a great feature. Allows you to later sort images by location. the trouble is the size of the GPS patch antenna and the fact that GPS can't work indoors.

Nikon is like Apple they don't talk about future products and almost all "leaked" images ar fakes.

Also if you know anything about Nikon and their product development cycle they could not be this close to a D400.

There are the rumors though that we're looking for an FX between the D300 and D3… which wouldn't replace either, but complement the lineup.

You can get GPS units that plug into current Nikon cameras so the camera can record the location the picture is taken at if it has signal. I'd think a touch screen would suck when you put the camera up to your face to take a picture though.

touch screen would be impractical; also, pros would want something that would work OK with gloves for cold shoots.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
My recollection was the comments down the line under that photo eventually have folks cracking up and the OP thanking them for the compliments on his photoshop work. But that's my recollection from a weeks ago when I came across that. In the absence of those comments, i would probably be the one posting a comment on his PS work.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Also, other than the "4" the camera is identical to the D300. In addition, isn't that the 18-200 DX attached?

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
The guy says it's only a prototype. I can see why there are questions regarding the picture, and the product cycle, but we'll see....we'll see...

NO! First, it's fake. Then, it looks identical to the D300, the multitouch and the GPS (although nice) are unlikely to happen built-in. do you really think that a prototype so soon in the development cycle would have all the markings and engravings? :rolleyes:

Built-in wifi already exists in some Nikon P&S, and 16MP seems about right.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
Yeah. Fake.

Nikon wouldn't let an image like this leak. Plus, at this point in time, development would not be this far along.

Nonetheless, we can speculate on features:

• 14-16 MPs
• Even more autofocus points
• GPS + WiFi
• Touch screen... Multi-Touch seems a bit out of reach though.
• Better self cleaning sensor, etc..

Who knows... The D400 is at least 2-3 years off into the future.

Joedy

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2006
The photo forums are rife with rumors of a full-sensor D300 model as well as some rumors of new Nikkor prime lenses being imminent.

I think that a Fx sensor on a D300 body (with a price premium above the D300 and below the D3), would be an ideal backup camera for a Pro and a working camera for the news media folks.

The firmware between the D3 and the D300 is not all that different. The required firmware programming update for a D300Fx camera is not all that hard to envision.

Swap out the logic board design for a D3 and place it in a D300Fx body....

I can imagine Nikon being open to this idea.

-joedy

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
<~...snip~>I think that a Fx sensor on a D300 body (with a price premium above the D300 and below the D3), would be an ideal backup camera for a Pro and a working camera for the news media folks.

<~snip...~>

-joedy

So... news media folks aren't Pros? I wonder how all my photojournalist friends feel about this... ;)

By the way, I want an FX D3xx. I'm expecting some really nice new full-frame prime glass as well as some new generation f2.8 zooms to compliment the FX digital line-up.

Maui

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2007
This is about the 10th claimed D400 mockup I have seen. Just go look through the forums on dpreview of smugmug or Nikonians.

The D400 can't come out yet. I still haven't figured out my D300.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.