Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

millermuddle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2008
I have a Nikon D40X. When I try to take a pix with little or no light & no flash, I get an "exposure too dark" message. I have it on manual and bulb settings. Can't find any way to take a pix in the dark. Any suggestions?

TimJim

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
Well if your in complete dark, its not going to work no matter how long the exposure is. If there is little light, boost the ISO up and make a long shutter speed and small aperture.

millermuddle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2008
Well if your in complete dark, its not going to work no matter how long the exposure is. If there is little light, boost the ISO up and make a long shutter speed and small aperture.

I didn't want to boost the ISO. I'm trying to manipulate a picture and a high ISO wouldn't work

Jan 30, 2006
If you are in complete manual mode the camera should let you take the photo. Even if you are in a complete dark room it should.

Now, you need to keep the shutter pressed when in "bulb" mode.

Zer0

macrumors regular
May 22, 2007
Could this be because the camera is unable to AF? May be you can try using the MF. Not really sure tho.... hope it helps!

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
I agree with above. Your camera may not fire if it's not in focus depending on how it's set. Try switching to manual focus mode, or Continuous-servo mode. Note also that your lens may need to be set to manual focus, depending on the lens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.