Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Linkjeniero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
Recently I bought a Nikon D50, and I want to use my dad's old Speedlight SB-24 flash with it. I tried it and it works, but the flash won't take the settings from the camera (ISO, aperture, etc). At first I thought there was a problem with the flash, so I tried it with my dad's F80, and it works. I searched all over for info about this, but with no luck. Is there a solution to this, or do I have to enter the info manually every time?

Thanks

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
You'd better look in the manual that came with the camera to see if the SB 24 is compatible; I doubt that it is. Electronics have changed a lot in cameras since the days of that particular model. It's not just an issue of not being able to use all the speedlight's features -- you don't want to take any chances of frying the electronics in your new D50.

Linkjeniero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
Really? I had no idea you could fry a camera with a flash... even one of the same brand? Well, since I didn't know, I already tried it... I doesn't look like the camera suffered any damage to me, and the flash does go off, but like I said, it won't take the camera settings. Also, I searched in Nikon's website, and they don't list it :( .

LATER: Finally! I found a reference to the flash in the camera's manual (I had overlooked it before). It is compatible, but not in TTL mode... I don't know why, since both the camera and the flash have it. And since the camera doesn't have an auto but non ttl mode, I'll have to use the flash manually, even though it does have the auto mode :(.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Clix Pix said:
You'd better look in the manual that came with the camera to see if the SB 24 is compatible; I doubt that it is. Electronics have changed a lot in cameras since the days of that particular model. It's not just an issue of not being able to use all the speedlight's features -- you don't want to take any chances of frying the electronics in your new D50.
I really doubt that, I've used a Canon speedlight 144A from the AE-1 era on my 300D just fine.

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
The D50 is only fully compatible with the SB-600 & SB-800 flashes as it requires the latest and greatest TTL tech from Nikon. I think this is because it can only handle i-TTL and not matrix TTL that was standard at the time the SB-24 was sold.

However, you can still use the SB-24 as a non-TTL flash, ie either use it in A mode or manual. A mode is said to be quite good. Also as you're shooting digital and can see the results instantly, using manual isn't to difficult (assuming lighting and distances don't change). Just shoot a pic, and adjust the flash power as needed.

Oh, and no risk of fyring the electronics. You should get the "flash ready" symbol in the viewfinder too. :)

Disclaimer: this is based on my experience with a D70 and SB-28, but should be the same.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Only non-ttl and manual modes will work

Linkjeniero said:
Recently I bought a Nikon D50, and I want to use my dad's old Speedlight SB-24 flash with it.
Thanks

The SB24 will work in ONLY two modes:

(1) Manual (That's were you set the flash per to full, half or whateve and then st the f-stop the flashes guide number at that setting divided by the distance.

(2) Non-TTL Auto (Tis is where there is a light sensor mounted on the SB24 that controls the flash based on light reflected from the subject. Take my word for it #1 above works better.

The camera and flash will not comunicate settings except for the flash sync trigger.

Linkjeniero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
Ok, thanks to everyone for your help. I guess I'll have to use it in manual mode; not so bad since I'll only use it at home... I don't feel like lugging that thing around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.