Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pistol Pete

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
California
does anyone know my nikons dpi?

a link to where to find it would be great...

in the mean time I will be looking.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Pistol Pete said:
does anyone know my nikons dpi?

a link to where to find it would be great...

in the mean time I will be looking.

DPI is a term used in relationship to printing. Cameras deal in PPI, or pixels per inch. When you're printing you have to work with the printer's DPI, or dots per inch, which is different....

Pistol Pete

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
California
haha i figured it out after i did a few searchs...I just got an offer to do a shoot and he said "The photos need to be at least 300dpi." and I was confused...

so I guess My new question is my camera has nothing to do with dpi right? haha

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Pistol Pete said:
haha i figured it out after i did a few searchs...I just got an offer to do a shoot and he said "The photos need to be at least 300dpi." and I was confused...

so I guess My new question is my camera has nothing to do with dpi right? haha

What he's saying, I think, is that he'd like the RESOLUTION of the images you shoot and give him to be 300 ppi. I don't know if the D50 does that. When I shoot with my D200 and go into Photoshop, yes, my images are of high resolution (10 MP) and are 300 ppi. Check out what is specified for your camera in the "image size" category in your digital image editing program (Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, whatever....)

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
Clix Pix said:
What he's saying, I think, is that he'd like the RESOLUTION of the images you shoot and give him to be 300 ppi. I don't know if the D50 does that. When I shoot with my D200 and go into Photoshop, yes, my images are of high resolution (10 MP) and are 300 ppi. Check out what is specified for your camera in the "image size" category in your digital image editing program (Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, whatever....)
the d50's jpegs are also 300 ppi.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Pistol Pete said:

The D50 has a 3000 x 2000 pixel sensor. If the limit is 300 DPI then the largest uncropped prints that can be made are 3000/300 x 2000/300 inches which works out to 10 x 6.6 inches.

O course the nit-picker in me notices the specification does not say "300DPi without interpolation" it just says 300DPI and is therefore quite meaningless as you can ask photoshop to upscale the imge to any size.

Realistically you can make 8x10 or 8x12 inch prints with very high quality.

The new D200 can make prints of the same uality 20% larger.

Pistol Pete

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
California
ChrisA said:
The D50 has a 3000 x 2000 pixel sensor. If the limit is 300 DPI then the largest uncropped prints that can be made are 3000/300 x 2000/300 inches which works out to 10 x 6.6 inches.

O course the nit-picker in me notices the specification does not say "300DPi without interpolation" it just says 300DPI and is therefore quite meaningless as you can ask photoshop to upscale the imge to any size.

Realistically you can make 8x10 or 8x12 inch prints with very high quality.

The new D200 can make prints of the same uality 20% larger.

Wow thanks a lot for the time...It looks like I am set. Wow I love Photog and crave it when i am at work...:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.