Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
I think I'm about to pull the trigger and buy a D50 from Ritz Camera online, along with the 1 year service plan. I'm just looking for some thoughts on this before I make the purchase, more on if it's the right place to buy it and if the warranty is a good call than if it's a good camera. This is my first time buying a DSLR.

Thanks in advance.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
I think I'm about to pull the trigger and buy a D50 from Ritz Camera online, along with the 1 year service plan. I'm just looking for some thoughts on this before I make the purchase, more on if it's the right place to buy it and if the warranty is a good call than if it's a good camera. This is my first time buying a DSLR.

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't. If you are sure that you want to buy from Ritz (I suppose that their protection plan is the most comprehensive on the market), I would go into their BM store. There has to be a Ritz/Wolf/some other subsidiary near you.

The problem is that if you have any issues, the plan contract specifies that you need to deal with ritzcamera.com, and cannot utilize it by going into a store. To me, that is a disadvantage....

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota

Thanks in advance.
First time buying a DSLR? Make sure to get the Nikkor lens rather than the Quantaray! I think it's $550 with the Nikkor, or something close to that...

Like suggested above, the stores have to be close to you.

Edit: Sorry, it's $599.

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
Yeah, I'm planning on getting the 18-55 Nikkor kit. It's $549 from ritz, which should come to close to $500 after paypal coupons and ebates.com cash back. Going to the retail store will cost closer to $600 after tax, so I don't think it's worth it.

Curren~Sea

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I bought my D50 two days ago from a Ritz commercial store. It is actually called Camera's West, but the same parent company owns thousands of stores. It was $550 with the 18-55 Nikkor lens. I opted for the $93 yearly protection plan - I'm a big believer in warranties because they have saved me lots of money over the years. Additionally, I have 10 days after Christmas for any price protection - meaning if I can find the same camera for less, they'll match it. Doubt the online store would do that. I also see other benefits from going to a retail store, such as service and support which is hard to measure in dollars. Also, if I decide I want to upgrade to a D80 within a couple months, the retail store will trade my D50 in at full value towards any upgrade. Just some things for you to consider. Oh, and if you buy at a retail store, you'll have it in time for Christmas :)

Foucault

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2002
Pasadena, CA
...Also, if I decide I want to upgrade to a D80 within a couple months, the retail store will trade my D50 in at full value towards any upgrade. Just some things for you to consider. Oh, and if you buy at a retail store, you'll have it in time for Christmas :)

Will Ritz seriously accept a trade in of a D50 at full value if you wanted to upgrade to a D80? That doesn't sound right. I bought a D50 from Ritz in June and they're certainly not accepting a full value trade in if I wanted to upgrade to a D80? Is this only if you buy the extended warranty?? Where did you get your information from?

Curren~Sea

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I have 30 days for a full trade in replacement or upgrade, no questions asked. That’s in writing. What’s not in writing is if I want to upgrade to a more expensive camera within 2-3 months, they will be happy to do it as long as I have all of my original packaging and the camera is undamaged in any way. This is at a Camera’s West in Seattle.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Yeah, I'm planning on getting the 18-55 Nikkor kit. It's $549 from ritz, which should come to close to $500 after paypal coupons and ebates.com cash back. Going to the retail store will cost closer to $600 after tax, so I don't think it's worth it.

hey, I'm from your area, and the Helix at Plaza Del Lago in Wilmette and Ritz stores at both Edens Plaza and Old Orchard have really friendly, helpful salespeople. If you really just want a good deal online, go to adorama or beach camera.

OwlsAndApples

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2006
UK
Just wanna say that if you're getting a D50...Excellent choice! Got mine for Chrismukka this year and it's amazing! OK, Nikon-raving over...;)

techster85

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2006
Lubbock, TX
I bought a second D50 from ritz this week for 450 for the body only, which is a steal really, A. because i already have lenses, and B. because i don't think even B and H could beat that price. However, go with the Nikkor instead of the Quantaray, you'll be happier with your color and focus...

GnrlyMrly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I picked up my D50 from Wolf Camera yesterday with a 28-80mm nikkor lens for $540 o.t.d. The service there was GREAT! I'm loving the camera and feel I got a good price.:)

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I'm going out tomorrow and buying the D50 with a 28-70 and 70-300 lens package from Ritz. From today through tomorrow this package is only $600.

I know, I have read on here before that these are not the best lenses but I tried them out at the store today and I had no problems with them, I am new to digital SLR cameras. I think it is a good starter package, I'm going to get a case to hold all the stuff in.

I was a little torn between the D50, D40 and the Canon XT, but then this deal came along for only the D50 and also I have tons of SD cards that the Canon doesn't accept, kinda made my decision for me.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
This is what it says in the add:

Nikon D50 Digital SLR
2 Lens Zoom Outfit includes:
-D50 Body
-28-80mm Nikkor AF Zoom Lens
-70-300mm G Nikkor AF Zoom Lens

I don't really know the difference between the nikkor and the quantaray, the nikkor is better, right?

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
Well, I bought the D50 today. I didn't do the two lens kit though, I got it with just the stock 18-55. They didn't have the 28-80 lens in stock and they said it wouldn't be until next week until they could get it. Also, as I sorta already knew, those lenses were made for film, not digital, so there would be some "cropping" (not sure what the term is) on the edges were I wouldn't actually be taking a picture of everything in the view finder. I figured I didn't want to deal with that with my first DSLR and I find the stock lens is more than capable for me needs now as I learn how to use the camera.

Now, off to learn how to use this thing and take a bunch of pictures.

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Also, as I sorta already knew, those lenses were made for film, not digital, so there would be some "cropping" (not sure what the term is) on the edges were I wouldn't actually be taking a picture of everything in the view finder.

The cropping, and that is the correct term, even if it is misleading, means that because the sensor on your camera is smaller then 35mm film, some of the lens is going to be wasted.

Your nikon compensates for this by only using the center of the lens. This means that you have to multiply the focal length of the lens by 1.5 in order to get the focal length (in traditional 35mm terms) that you would on a film camera. All this means is that a 50mm lens on a film camera will appear to be around an 80mm lens on your D50. Some of the lens is going to waste, but you're not loosing anything.

Kit lenses are designed specifically for smaller digital sensors. They can be smaller and lighter since they don't have to focus light onto such a large imaging plane.

As for the cropping, it's not going to appear as cropping to you. What you see in the viewfinder is what you get when you take the picture. Don't worry about that when buying lenses in the future.

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Nikon crop factor is 1.5
1.6 is for some Canons

Edited my original post to reflect the change.

Not trying to take this thread too much more off topic, but are nikon sensors not APS sized? They must be slightly larger if they have a 1.5 crop instead of 1.6.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Also, as I sorta already knew, those lenses were made for film, not digital, so there would be some "cropping" (not sure what the term is) on the edges were I wouldn't actually be taking a picture of everything in the view finder. I figured I didn't want to deal with that with my first DSLR and I find the stock lens is more than capable for me needs now as I learn how to use the camera.

Actually, in terms of image quality, that's an advantage. The center of a lens's image circle is normally the brightest and most distortion-free area, so while the focal lenght's field of view and depth of field will be different, you're getting the sweet spot of the lens in the cropped area.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.