Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

playm0de

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2006
Im looking into getting a digital SLR but can't decide between these two. I'd like some feedback. Thanks.

EricBrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2005
I bought a Nikon D50 and like it a lot. But, I've never tried a Canon Rebel and so, can't help with a comparison.

But, I can say that the D50 is very good. I've produced some very nice photos since I've started to use it. :)

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Pleanty of threads on this. You've asked a question that there is not a correct "answer" to... just pages and pages of tortured threads here and on many a site. There's a seach feature in the forums that will help you locate them. Within even recent threads you can find a recent one (canon or nikon) that touches on this - just scroll down a few. I think Clix had the last post there last I checked. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/215976/

Here's an example of what you can find with a search - this topic from last month - https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/206787/

playm0de

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2006
Didn't even think of the search feature, sorry...just glad I finally have the cash to buy a d-SLR.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
Go to the nearest camera store with both. Hold each. If I were to do that today with no gear at all I'm positive I would walk out with the D50. And I know many people who have done just that. For me it was between the original Rebel and the D70. the D70 won.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
What exactly do you want us to tell you that we haven't said in a thread that's 7 links down the list on the page? Do your plans involve something very specific, and so you're looking for very specific advice based on your plans? This can be done, but you'd need to tell us what your specific needs are before we can tell you anything. They're both good cameras, and they both have nice lenses.

Otherwise, here's where you're gonna get the help you want.....
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/215976/

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
As others have said, look around in a few threads and then go to a shop and test both. I did and walked out with the D50 (if my budget was more a D70s would have won) which was an upgrade from a Canon. There is no right or wrong answer (or choice) just what features, your needs for now and the future (keep that in mind), lenes and hands on feel is the most important thing.
With that said I'm happy with my decision and happy when someone tells me that their happy with the choice they made. Simple, no wars over the topic just nice photos and some fun :D

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
Silentwave said:
Go to the nearest camera store with both. Hold each. If I were to do that today with no gear at all I'm positive I would walk out with the D50. And I know many people who have done just that. For me it was between the original Rebel and the D70. the D70 won.

Exactly. The cameras are pretty similar (aside from a few small things here and there), the main thing is to decide how the camera feels in your hand. I went for the Digital Rebel XT for this reason, since the D50 was too heavy/big for my tastes (I did prefer the Nikon system though).

You can compare the two at dpreview.com, to see exactly what the differences are. The rebate on the Canon has passed, so I'm not sure what the difference in price is anymore.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
extraextra said:
Exactly. The cameras are pretty similar (aside from a few small things here and there), the main thing is to decide how the camera feels in your hand. I went for the Digital Rebel XT for this reason, since the D50 was too heavy/big for my tastes (I did prefer the Nikon system though).

You can compare the two at dpreview.com, to see exactly what the differences are. The rebate on the Canon has passed, so I'm not sure what the difference in price is anymore.

yeah, glad you mentioned that on the rebate- a D50 is 549 body only, the XT is 700 body only since there is no more rebate.

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
extraextra said:
I went for the Digital Rebel XT for this reason, since the D50 was too heavy/big for my tastes (I did prefer the Nikon system though).

:eek: The D50 was too heavy/big? You would absolutely hate any of the more expensive cameras or pro cameras. But, it is your neck and the Rebel XT is definitely easier on the neck.

Regarding the question, If you are considering the Rebel (non XT), then definitely go for the D50 because it is newer technology and has better features. If you are talking about the XT version, I would take a hard look at the D70s kit ($950 on B&H). Great camera, ergonomics, better build, and awesome kit lens. It is one of the best out of the box with lens SLRs I have seen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.