Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pistol Pete

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
California
How big can i print a photo from my D50?

What is the biggest you have printed with your camera?

the photo is a jpeg fine at 2000heightx3000width

Thanks a lot.

JobsRules

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2006
Generally speaking, you can print as big as you like. I've made pretty nice A3 prints from a D70s.

There's a school of thought, particularly those who take photos for pre-press, that believes that your camera can only print at its native resolution at 300DPI (roughtly the image pixel-for-pixel, divded by three).

This isn't actually true. A 200DPI image can look good at A4. It's can usally help to 'blow up' the image in Photoshop using image size, as this provides intelligent scaling. You can get third-party scaling plug-ins that do an even better job.

A 'film buff' semi-pro Photographer I knew said that digital camera's resolutions are 'too small' and that he can scan 35mm at 'any resolution'. So for fun we both took photos of the same things on the same day - him with his pro film SLR, me with a Nikon D70s.

He was using a Nikon desktop film scanner and his 'big blow-ups' from 35mm looked over-grainy without a lot of work, and didn't show anymore actual detail than my digital photos at their 'modest' resolutions. The colour reproduction, the light and dark areas - none of these were as good as the digital photographs.

The 'film buff' argument only starts to have merit when you're talking repro-house drum scans, and how many photographers want to pay $15-30 per image just to get their photos into a computer?

If looking for big images, bget into the habit of shooting RAW, as JPEGS are more likely to reveal digital artifacts when going for large printouts.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
JobsRules said:
....So for fun we both took photos of the same things on the same day - him with his pro film SLR, me with a Nikon D70s.

He was using a Nikon desktop film scanner and his 'big blow-ups' from 35mm looked over-grainy without a lot of work, and didn't show anymore actual detail than my digital photos at their 'modest' resolutions. The colour reproduction, the light and dark areas - none of these were as good as the digital photographs.

The 'film buff' argument only starts to have merit when you're talking repro-house drum scans, and how many photographers want to pay $15-30 per image just to get their photos into a computer?

I have to disagree. I have a D50 and I have many, many negative and slide I took with a Nikon film camera. I've been scanning the film and some of it is much better quality than I can get with me digital camera. A lot depends on the type of film used and how carful you were shot it. But the lens really matters too. I'm using an Epson flat bed scanner at 4800 DPI. Not all of the film beat the digital images.

If I wanted to do a test just to prove a point. I'd go and get some Kodachrome 25 and my big tripod. My D50 just can not come close to what my N90 and K25 can do.

Back to prints. It depends on what your critera is is for a good print. Some people will put a 4x loupe down on the print and other will say that a 4x6 inch print is viewed at a 12 inch distance while a 24 is view from 24 inches or more. Because of this effect the larger prints don't need so much details per inch.

I'd say you can make 20" wide print with a D50. If you are carful and view them at arms lenght

My next camera is going to be a 4x5 view camera.

Pistol Pete

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
California
Thanks a lot of the help guys. It means a lot. Anyways I am happy to hear that I will be able to do my desired print sizes...

anyways while we are on the subject. where should I order big prints from?

and also a side note. I have the original picture but it is not RAW it is just a fine jpeg large. I hope that doest affect it that much.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Pistol Pete said:

Depends on what sized prints you are talking about.:)

and also a side note. I have the original picture but it is not RAW it is just a fine jpeg large. I hope that doest affect it that much.

IMO it depends on what camera it came from, and what you expect. I have done 13x19's from the D-lux2/LX-1 P&S - and been very happy with them. I have printed sample prints for customers from a 6mp DSLR to 20x30 from a JPEG , and all were happy with the result.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Pistol Pete said:
Mpix.com makes great prints, at relatively cheap prices. I'd highly suggest 'em. I would NOT suggest Shutterfly (another service I tried in my everlasting search for the perfect printer). They auto-compress your images and they look like it-shay when printed. Grainy up the wazoo. Color was off too.

http://www.mpix.com Yeah!

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
pdpfilms said:
Mpix.com makes great prints, at relatively cheap prices. I'd highly suggest 'em. I would NOT suggest Shutterfly (another service I tried in my everlasting search for the perfect printer). They auto-compress your images and they look like it-shay when printed. Grainy up the wazoo. Color was off too.

http://www.mpix.com Yeah!

I have seen them, and thought of using them before.

How are they when you send them an image that did not meet your expectations? Whether for color, contrast, or whatever?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.