Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neral1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
Guys
I have more around 600 pics on my memory card. Now when I take a new picture and want to transfer on to iphoto it takes ages because it scans through all the pics until that last pic is uploaded.
In short I want to know if there is any way I can select what pic I want to upload from the camera quickly.

Please help.

Thanks

seany916

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2006
Southern California
Use Image Capture instead of iPhoto. Takes a 2nd step into iPhoto, but the pics can be placed into custom folders and backed up before you even transfer into iPhoto. Can choose the pics like you want.

We upload 8+ GB after most events. We don't use iPhoto.

pna

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
I used to use Image Capture for exactly this reason -- it would let you select which images to pull from the card, based on thumbnails of all of them. I couldn't believe that iPhoto didn't do that, and instead just relied on it being smart enough not to reimport photos you'd already imported (which it frequently got wrong).

The new iphoto *does* allow you to do this, though it's not a feature I've seen mentioned anywhere. That, and a lot of other things they changed in this version make me feel like they really finally got the program right. I sort of grudgingly used the last versions of iPhoto, but this one I really, really like. It may be worth the upgrade if you use it a lot.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I believe that the newest iPhoto - the one in iLife '08 - finally does this (I use Aperture, so I haven't bought '08). You might want to check out Apple's site.

Edit: Ah, sorry, pna said this already but I missed it.

seany916

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2006
Southern California
I don't use iPhoto, but I was told that it doesn't support RAW. But again, I don't use iPhoto. I tried it a long time ago and it kept freezing on me (my friend told me I had too many photos in it), but then it was an older version and I hate consumer software programs.

Anyone using the newest iPhoto? Likes, dislikes?

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
iPhoto does support RAW, whereas my old Dell running XP didn't.

I upload my new pics using iPhoto, but I've never been very impressed with it. I have aperture, but it's such a memory hog that I'm reticent to use it full time in place of iPhoto.

Jan 30, 2006
My suggestion would be to use IMage Capture for now, since you already have it.

And try saving for Aperture, which is an excellent program. I do agree that it is quite a memory hog, my MB struggles with it, but I still like it much more than iPhoto.:)

seany916

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2006
Southern California
Aperture + PS are as strong a combination as MT & BJJ (if you can understand this, great. if not, the BJJ is NOT what you think!).

For any SLR owners that really want to "SEE" their photos, go to a Fruit Store an play with Aperture for at least an hour or have a Fruit Journeyman show you the program and what it can do.

The money is spent ISO lenses, accesories, but then you'll be able to SEE (and tweak) your photos in a whole new light. Please bear in mind that it does not replace PS in your toolbox. I have however, found it to be a valuable addtion to PS.

Okay, it's just really cool to go through your photos in Aperture. Makes going through 8-12 GBs of RAW images a less painful experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.