Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djarsalan2006

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
New York City
hey guys
i found a nikon D5000 refurbished from Nikon for around 560.00 USD including tax and everything
what do you guys think about the deal ? how about a refurb camera ?

pukifloyd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Scottsdale
I have the same problem as you - whether to buy a refurb or not ( i am going for canon rebel xs/xsi)

I have no problems with refurbs as long as they have 1 year warranty...adorama has wonderful deals on refurbs but the only problem i have is the warranty.
I'll call them maybe today and ask about the warranty...

As long as its refurbished by nikon, you should be fine with it.

cheers :)

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
I've bought factory refurbs from Apple and Nikon... both with no problems at all. The thing is, with Nikon the factory refurbs you only get a 90 day warranty, although the cameras are indistinguishable from what you'd get brand new. Similar deal as buying Apple refurbs, although Apple usually gives refurbs the same warranty as new. It's something to think about. What I've usually done is add a 3 or 5 yr. Mack warranty onto any refurb I buy through the local store I buy through. Even though the Mack warranty is good nationally, it help to have the local retailer back it up. I've never had to make a claim at all on my Nikon gear, so it's mainly been peace of mind.

I have no experience with refurbs from Canon.

The main thing is to make sure any refurbs you are looking at are the actual factory refurbs, not third-party refurbs. I've seen a few of those, so be sure of what you're looking at.

Wacky Jackson

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2010
California
I recently got a Nikon D3000 that was refurbished. I actually couldn't tell any difference besides the box it came in. And forgot that it was refurbished after a couple of days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.