Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacOCD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
For a while now I have been thinking of buying a DSLR Camera and i have been reading up on the D5000. From what i can tell,it seems like its a great camera, read very pleasant reviews on the camera and i wanted to know if any of my fellow MacRumor members have any opinions on this camera. Or a recommendation for a better one. The cameras price is a deciding factor so keep that in mind. Thanks :)

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Its an excellent camera.

As for choices, DPReview just came out appraising the Canon T1i/500D

Look at both, look at the lenses and choose your system! :)

MacOCD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
Its an excellent camera.

As for choices, DPReview just came out appraising the Canon T1i/500D

Look at both, look at the lenses and choose your system! :)

I looked at the T1i, I subscribe to Consumer Reports and a new issue came out and focused on cameras... They did not give they T1i a good review and consumer reports is an unbiased place for reviews so i should trust that... and The D5000 looks good :p Just got to get some lenses which isn't fun... $$$

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I looked at the T1i, I subscribe to Consumer Reports and a new issue came out and focused on cameras... They did not give they T1i a good review and consumer reports is an unbiased place for reviews so i should trust that... and The D5000 looks good :p Just got to get some lenses which isn't fun... $$$
Out of curiosity, what did CR find lacking on the T1i?

Personally, I wouldn't base any of my camera purchases on a CR review. I leave camera reviews to the experts.

If I want a review about a refrigerator or washer/dryer, I look at CR. Electronics, I'm looking somewhere else.

Just my .02

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
i don't trust CR for anything.

both the 500D and D5000 are great cameras. anyways, why are you so enamored of the D5000? have you looked at Olympus or Pentax? if you're sure Nikon suits you the best, though, go for it.

MacOCD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
i don't trust CR for anything.

both the 500D and D5000 are great cameras. anyways, why are you so enamored of the D5000? have you looked at Olympus or Pentax? if you're sure Nikon suits you the best, though, go for it.

I have just been reading and looking for a camera... I have just read very good reviews about the D5000. I'm all for other cameras and thats why I'm here, Give me some links :) The D5000 looks nice because of features, price, and good reviews. Also sexy as all hell...

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
In the UK the D5000 and the D90 are similarly priced. I would therefore opt for the D90 with its better screen and internal focus motor, unless I really wanted the articulation of the d5000's display.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
All I can pass along is the advice I was given a few years back…go and hold the cameras in your hand, really look through the menu system, then think about the type of photos you will or want to be taking. I went with Nikon yet I was going to by from Canon at the time and it came down to personal choice once I held the camera and did what I mentioned above.
Sexy is great unless it doesn't fit or feel right then it just becomes annoying and disappointing in the long run. Also sexy doesn't produce great photos, you do or don't ;) I would look on dpreview as others have said as that's a great sight to get any camera info from not just one brand more than the next based on influence of certain companies.

Good luck and then enjoy your choice.

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
In the UK the D5000 and the D90 are similarly priced. I would therefore opt for the D90 with its better screen and internal focus motor, unless I really wanted the articulation of the d5000's display.

Other reason might be that the D5000 is smaller/lighter than the D90, if that's important to the OP. I think it has better movie mode, too??

OP -- if you want the D5000, then get it. It's a good camera from a solid vendor. To compare Nikon to Canon for a newbie would require splitting hairs, likely in areas that you are not yet experienced enough to appreciate. I'm a Canon person myself, but there's no reason not to get the D5000 if that's what you want.

Side note -- I wouldn't trust CR for anything. Not because they are dishonest or anything, but because they don't know a shutter button from a battery door.

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
I'm really contemplating the D5000 as well. I like that it has the D90 sensor, but it's a little pricey for my budget. I was thinking of going for a D40 since it's very cheap now, but I'm worried about spending my money on it since it was released quite a while ago.

I have a question. I understand that the 35 mm 1.8 is a good lens for the D40 since the lens has a focus motor, but does it have any other advantages over the 50 mm 1.8? Does the "35mm" mean that it will capture wider angled shots?

And does the D5000 have a built in motor? I'm still not sure exactly what I'll end up doing. I've read the Ken Rockwell website and he seems to favor the D40 over the D5000, but I just feel that he's biased for some reason.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
I'm really contemplating the D5000 as well. I like that it has the D90 sensor, but it's a little pricey for my budget. I was thinking of going for a D40 since it's very cheap now, but I'm worried about spending my money on it since it was released quite a while ago.

there is very little difference between a camera released now and a camera released 3 years ago. if it fits our needs, then go ahead and get it.

I have a question. I understand that the 35 mm 1.8 is a good lens for the D40 since the lens has a focus motor, but does it have any other advantages over the 50 mm 1.8? Does the "35mm" mean that it will capture wider angled shots?

basically, yes. the shorter the focal length, the wider the angle of view. 35mm is a much better length than 50mm as a first prime lens - 50mm is too narrow for general-purpose use.

And does the D5000 have a built in motor? I'm still not sure exactly what I'll end up doing. I've read the Ken Rockwell website and he seems to favor the D40 over the D5000, but I just feel that he's biased for some reason.

first, forget about Ken Rockwell. next, no, the D5000 doesn't have a built-in motor. you will have to buy a D90 for that.

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
there is very little difference between a camera released now and a camera released 3 years ago. if it fits our needs, then go ahead and get it.

basically, yes. the shorter the focal length, the wider the angle of view. 35mm is a much better length than 50mm as a first prime lens - 50mm is too narrow for general-purpose use.

first, forget about Ken Rockwell. next, no, the D5000 doesn't have a built-in motor. you will have to buy a D90 for that.

Thank you for the info! I think I'm going to start off with a Refurb Nikon D40 and I'll try to find a 35mm 1.8. I sold my Point and Shoot a couple of weeks ago, so the relatively smaller size of the D40 will benefit me.

MacOCD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
Thank you for the info! I think I'm going to start off with a Refurb Nikon D40 and I'll try to find a 35mm 1.8. I sold my Point and Shoot a couple of weeks ago, so the relatively smaller size of the D40 will benefit me.

Where are you purchasing the refurb D40, Unless its a local store, i would love to know the online site. Thanks :)

ArtandStructure

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2008
Klamath Falls, Oregon
The D5000 is a weird slotting on Nikon's part. I almost think it's Nikon's little jar of peanut butter meant to move you up to the larger jar by comparison, seeing the larger jar as more bang for your buck.

If you can stretch a bit more, the D90 is far more camera than the D5000. Significant advantages of the D90 to the D5000 include:

1. Larger LCD with twice the resolution (twice the sharpness and detail). Same screen as on the D300, D700, D3 and D3x.

2. D90 has a top LCD. I use this and appreciate it much more than adjusting settings via the rear LCD. Also uses less battery than turning the rear LCD on all the time.

3. D90 has an autofocus motor for AF lenses without an internal motor such as the Nikkor 50mm 1.8 and the Tokina 11-16mm 2.8, both excellent lenses cheaper than their internal focusing Nikkor counterparts. This alone is justification enough to get the D90 over the D5000 if you want one of these lenses as the price difference in lens will make up the price difference in cameras.

4. D90 has nearly twice as many buttons/switches as the D5000 for easier/quicker camera control.

5. D90 has a more rugged "feel" to me. The D5000 follows the D40's form, both of which are very good, but the D90 is definitely a step up.

6. D90 has a noticeably brighter and larger viewfinder. It uses a pentaprism like the D300 and up, not the pentamirror of the other models.

7. The D90 can wirelessly control external flashes. The D5000 and below do not have this capability built-in.

I'm sure there's something I'm leaving out, but that should give you an idea. The D90 is only slightly larger and heavier than the D5000....maybe 15% more, but feels very well weighted and balanced. It doesn't have the swivel screen of the D5000 which I find gimmicky anyway and would never use. Both should shoot the same quality video.

EDIT: I moved from a D40 to D90 recently. I shoot professionally and am in a gallery in Ashland, Oregon. If your budget is really tight, think about a D40. It is a perfectly capable camera. It is an older model than the D5000 and D90 and doesnt have all the bells and whistles, but I've been using mine for 2 years with happy results...and if anyone's interested, I will be eBaying my D40 with extra battery and SB-400 external flash soon. Contact me off list if you are interested before I put it up for auction.

All the best,

Jesse Widener
Art and Structure

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Where are you purchasing the refurb D40, Unless its a local store, i would love to know the online site. Thanks :)

Definitely. I can't give you the link as I'm on my iPhone, but go to Kenrockwell.com and look for the link to the D40 in the Nikon section. Near the top should be a couple of links for places to purchase a D40. A refurbished model is among them. I think I'm going to just go with the D40. If anything, it can be a nice little backup camera if I'm ever to upgrade later. And it's very cheap. As far as I know, image quality has very little to do with the actual body as it does the lens. So those extra bucks are for more control rather than quality, which I won't even be able to take advantage of just yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.