Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SMkdesigns

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
$699.99 after $150 Savings
Nikon D60 10.2MP 2.5"
18-55 VR & 55-200 VR
3 Frames Per Second
3-Area AF
3D Color Matrix Metering
comes with nikon carrying case
2 dvds
and 50 costco prints

this package deal goes for 849 with a 150 instant rebate through Nikon.

However in the costco connection magazine there is a coupon for 100 off the nikon d60
http://www.costcoconnection.com/connection/200812/?pg=65

however when i went to costco, they were unsure about there own coupon. Saying that there is already a discount for 150 so that coupon does nothing. However ever store offers that same kit for 699 as the instant rebate is from nikon.
therefore i believe this coupon is supposed to work and i was the first one to attempt to use it.
Have any of you guys tired this coupon from the costco connection. it would make a amazing deal making it 600 for the kit.

Just letting everyone out there know about this deal and about the coupon that costco just released.

However i do have one major problem, that is the NIKON D90, if i am going to be paying 750 for the nikon d60 kit. It triggering me to think maybe i should get the nikon d90 over the d60. I know about all the features is overs and the hd movie mode. However i did take it into thought that maybe it would be better to wait for a updated dslr that has perfected the moive mode in the near future. I only use NIKON. Or spend the extra cash and get the nikon d90 as i would love to use that movie mode occasionally and the bracketing feature for HDR and alot of other stuff.
i do like the nikon d60 size, i beieve i do anyways when using it at the store, but i have not used it outside of a store.
the d60 seems to to be a great camera and takes amazing pictures, it seems a little sluggish, but that might just be me bring picky. I would be doing HDR portraits landscapes up close, snowboarding sports, DOF everything. i consider myself a inspiring to be pro lol..

i am just lost. and would like some help deciding.
thanks and check out the coupons for those of you that use costco

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
When I was shopping for a DSLR, the D60 with the single VR lens was $599, so I guess the above price for a 2 lens kit seems right.

Doesn't look like the 2nd lens is a VR, so for a $100 more it seems okay.

SMkdesigns

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
yes the kit is actually two vr lenses. Also if the coupon does not work, online the kit is 649

SMkdesigns

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
nm turns out! the one on costcos website for 649 seems to lack the VR on the 55 to 200 and also lacks the case and stuff you would get as costco

SMkdesigns

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
what did you pay for the d60 and do you like it. i am really considering the d60 over the d90 mainly for the money issue and ill have room to grow into it before i upgrade to something else. Plus costco 90 return policy amazing.

SMkdesigns

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
yea the nikon d90 looks great however i dont want to pay that much money for it.
the d60 looks like a great camera and can take some great pictures

CarlsonCustoms

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2007
I'll admit I'm no pro but I was going to get the D40 but decided to get one step up to the D60.. its been great so far for me. I paid $589 but that probably wasn't the BEST deal. I was ordering nearly $4000 of stuff from newegg on that order and didn't want to mess around with multiple vendors so I just went with newegg.

Zack

SMkdesigns

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
well i am leaning towards the d90, however if i was going to buy the d90 i would buy the body buy it self for 879 fom amazon. they get a lens from christmas. versus the d60 kit for 699 with 18 55 vr and the 55 200 vr and a bag.

what do you guys think

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
The D60 is no step up from the D40. It's more pixels packed onto the same sensor and it still lacks an internal autofocus motor.

SMkdesigns

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
d60
18 55 vr
55 200 vr
nikon carrying case with nikon school dvds
2gb memory card 699 (costco 90 return policy)
i mean is that 55 200 vr lenses worth the money, or should i just buy the d60 with the 18 55 lense for 519 and put the other money towards a different lense
i was looking at getting the d90 body alone for 879 but i am going to go with the d60 i am pretty sure.
just wondering if i should get the package kit deal or skip it..

thanks

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
Either get something like a D50 or save up for a D90. You want an internal autofocus body, even if you don't know it yet.

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
Either get something like a D50 or save up for a D90. You want an internal autofocus body, even if you don't know it yet.

Well, im not to sure about this. I was in the market to buy a DSLR too...I was in the same boat as the OP. I went with the d60. Reason being is that Nikkor/Nikon is starting to make the lenses AF-S. There is now a lot more of a variety. Sure the older lenses cannot be used with auto-focus but they are making a lot on new ones that can. Also, I set a price limit (like the OP)...obviously the more I look the more i'd like to raise the limit. OP, what I suggest you do is stick to your price range. The D60 is a superb camera! When you grow like you mentioned, then look at buying a different body (unless you can afford one now). Otherwise, I'd just stick to buying lenses...thats the majority of the $$$ Hope this helps ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.