Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thouts

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
I've been reading about and viewing a lot of HDR photos. I'd like to try my hand at it with my D60. I can't seem to find the "auto bracketing" function to take three different exposures at once...does my camera lack this function? If so, is there a different way to get the same results?

Thanks.

mattw126

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
Naples, FL - Poughkeepsie, NY
If so, is there a different way to get the same results?

If you're using ACR shoot RAW, I just got - but haven't used Photomatrix (time issues) which I guess allows you to use JPEGs (don't quote me on that + you should always shoot RAW anyways).

Setup on a tripod and use the self-timer set to 2 seconds or as long as you want to wait if you don't have a remote shutter release. Expose the scene correctly (take a test shot & look for your shadows and highlights to reach the 'compromise' you would normally be forced to make).

Wherever you end up with your aperture setting for your artistic taste, keep it there. Now shoot the scene with varying exposure lengths. Keep it open for one frame 2 stops +, one frame 1 stop +, then reverse the other way with you're shutter speed settings.

Now you have 5 RAW images that go from too dark to too light with the 'correct' exposure in the middle. In PS go to File>Automate>Merge to HDR, pick your RAW images and see what you get!

I'm sure someone can explain Photomatrix & tone-mapping better, but as far as getting the needed shots, I hope the above helps.

pna

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
In answer to your question though, yes, I'm pretty sure the D60 lacks the 'auto-bracket' function, and you have to do the bracketing manually as described by the poster above.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I've been reading about and viewing a lot of HDR photos. I'd like to try my hand at it with my D60. I can't seem to find the "auto bracketing" function to take three different exposures at once...does my camera lack this function? If so, is there a different way to get the same results?

Thanks.

You don't need the auto bracket feature. Shoot one normal exposure then one with twice the shutter speed then one with half the speed. You will need a tripod.

You can be a little more sophisticated too. Rather than just blindly taking exposure one EV on either side of "normal" you can take one to fully capture the shadows and one that does not clip any highlights and then one or two evenly spaced between.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.