Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matthewcap

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
Which of these cameras takes better overall pictures in terms of noise and color? Which is the better overall camera? Nikon employs the CCD sensor in the d60 and Canon employs the CMOS in the XS....any difference between the two in terms of quality? Thanks.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Ive always been partial to Canon. I just got the Rebel and am in love with it! I'd say get the Canon you wont regret it!

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Ive always been partial to Canon. I just got the Rebel and am in love with it! I'd say get the Canon you wont regret it!

And Nikon fans will say to get a Nikon...

<FlameRetardantSuitOn>
Actually after reading through a large number of these threads it seems like Nikon owners are more likely to recommend the Canon if it suits the purchaser better but Canon owners often blindly recommend the Canon's....

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
And Nikon fans will say to get a Nikon...

<FlameRetardantSuitOn>
Actually after reading through a large number of these threads it seems like Nikon owners are more likely to recommend the Canon if it suits the purchaser better but Canon owners often blindly recommend the Canon's....

Im not 'blindly' recommending anything!? Im saying I bought the Canon and IM happy with it.. You make it sound like im pushing Canon on him. Im not!

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Im not 'blindly' recommending anything!? Im saying I bought the Canon and IM happy with it.. You make it sound like im pushing Canon on him. Im not!

Sorry, wasn't trying to attack you but rather just making an observation from all the Canon vs. Nikon threads I have read.

The OP is really asking all the wrong questions for someone who is seemingly purchasing their first Digital SLR, I would suggest looking more at the feature set of each camera along with button placement and things like how each camera feels to you when you hold it as you are going to be holding it a LOT so if you can't stand holding it what does it matter if it has ever so slightly better noise reduction?

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
In terms of feature and usability I say the XS beats D60 hands down. That is of course only comparing 2 camera bodies and not caring the lens choices, the higher end bodies choices, company strategies and etc. etc. etc.

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
You might want to go to a store and check out how the camera feels in your hands. If you're not worried about how it handles (you'll get used to any camera anyway after you've used it for a while), then look at what features you'll need.

I'm a person who doesn't care about brand loyalty, but for the money, value is all that matters to me. I just grabbed a 5D Mark II, because it represents an incredible value for its price range. I've used Nikons, Canons, etc. They're all great cameras. So to answer your question, I'd probably say get the Canon XS. After all, it's almost the same as an XSi, but just a step below, and has excellent image processing. Or go for a D40, so you can save some money and grab a better lens. Here's a decent review of the D60:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d60.htm

Personally, I like Canon's line of lenses better. But that's just me. I think Nikon's lenses are also a little more expensive (if you do similar direct comparisons).

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe

Don't listen to this guy. Canon's are horrible. Nikon is light years ahead of Canon.

Before the bashing starts, I was just joking.

Both of those cameras are nice and so is the guy I quoted. I would suggest going to a camera store and getting a feel for both of them. The Nikon vs. Canon wars are stupid and it only plays to their advantage. It is like asking someone if they prefer a BMW or Mercedes. At the end of the day, they both are awesome. It just depends on what is the right fit for you. Only you can be the judge of that.

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
You might want to go to a store and check out how the camera feels in your hands. If you're not worried about how it handles (you'll get used to any camera anyway after you've used it for a while), then look at what features you'll need.

I'm a person who doesn't care about brand loyalty, but for the money, value is all that matters to me. I just grabbed a 5D Mark II, because it represents an incredible value for its price range. I've used Nikons, Canons, etc. They're all great cameras. So to answer your question, I'd probably say get the Canon XS. After all, it's almost the same as an XSi, but just a step below, and has excellent image processing. Or go for a D40, so you can save some money and grab a better lens. Here's a decent review of the D60:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d60.htm

Personally, I like Canon's line of lenses better. But that's just me. I think Nikon's lenses are also a little more expensive (if you do similar direct comparisons).

Definitely sensible advice. Go and see how they feel in your hands before deciding. When I bought my first D-SLR a couple of years ago, I went into the store determined to buy a Canon Rebel xti - I left with a Nikon D40 after trying both out. Don't just go for a brand name...

Charlie017

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2008
I am a complete nube to digital photography. Ive been using a Olympus OM-1 for the past few years and finally decided to upgrade a little as developing costs are stupid these days. I chose the D60 after reading a few reviews and not really looking into it. And it is a fantastic camera, i cant knock it atall for that. But recently i did have a go with my friends D40, and it is practically the same and i actaully preffer the suttle style changes to the D60. So my advice for what its worth is get the D40 if your interested in Nikon, you wont regret it. I know its already been said but oh well. At the end of the day, just get a camera and start taking photos, stop looking for where your going to get the best deal.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
I still prefer Nikon's over Canons due to the body.

Both will yield good results. It all hangs on the photographer to take good pics.

SansCrainte

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2008
Dalton, Oh
Both of those cameras are nice and so is the guy I quoted. I would suggest going to a camera store and getting a feel for both of them. The Nikon vs. Canon wars are stupid and it only plays to their advantage. It is like asking someone if they prefer a BMW or Mercedes. At the end of the day, they both are awesome. It just depends on what is the right fit for you. Only you can be the judge of that.

HogFan hit it on the head...

I was looking at the D60 and the XSi. I went to the local camera store and went over both the cameras. I liked the layout of the Canon when shooting and I also like some of the features on the Canon more. I thought image quality looked good on both. I ended up going with the Canon, but could have easily walked out with the Nikon.

Any camera that you are going to use is a good camera...

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Don't listen to this guy. Canon's are horrible. Nikon is light years ahead of Canon.

Before the bashing starts, I was just joking.

HAHA! WHen I first started reading this I was like WHAT!?
Your a funny guy!
Let me know when you get that D90!

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
I would like to state that the D60 does have a better feel and grip. I don't know why they changed the grip for the XS (the grip is different from the XTi and XSi for whatever reason), but it doesn't feel as comfortable in the hand.

I was also surprised at how lightweight the XS is. It's always useful to get a battery grip for these consumer line of DSLRs, as it adds useful weight to balance the camera better. Plus, you get to use standard AA batteries, along with that nifty extra button for your vertical shots. :D

I'm still contemplating if I should keep my XTi, since I now have the 5D... :(

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Which of these cameras takes better overall pictures in terms of noise and color? Which is the better overall camera? Nikon employs the CCD sensor in the d60 and Canon employs the CMOS in the XS....any difference between the two in terms of quality? Thanks.

We can't answer that question untill you say what lens you have attached to each camera body. The lens mattrs more than with body. A lot more.

The other consideration is what else you plan to buy. Down the road you will want a few more lenses and if you buy the Nikon those will have to be Nikon mount lenses. These lenses will in total cost more then the body. So the body is like the "nose of the camel in the tent. Decide which camel you like before you buy the nose.

Canon has a good product line but watch their low-end lens. These are lower build quality then Nikon. But at the mid range and higher both are very good.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Does the Rebel XS have any lens limitations like the D60? That might be an important thing to consider if you are having trouble deciding. I would definitely say go into a store and check both of them out. I went Nikon because I liked the feel, but people are different. You might find the Canon more suited to your tastes. Both are great cameras, and great companies.

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
Are you thinking of the D40 without an auto focus motor on the body? The D60 does...

The D60 lacks the motor, as well. It has the same autofocus limitations as the D40.

At any rate, go to a store and try out cameras. I originally planned on getting an XSi, but after handling different bodies, I ended up going with a D90. Canon and Nikon are pretty much comparable in terms of the systems, you really can't go wrong with either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.