Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ofe1kanofee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
I owned a Nikon D40x and loved it, however i lost it and am replacing it. I am an amateur photographer and am only going to be using one lens with the D80 and two lens with the D60. The fact that the D60 has a much limited variety of lens' doesn't affect me. I love how simple and easy the D40x was and i want a similar camera. Is image quality better in the D80 than the D60? I also am not going to be using any of the extra features on the D80. The main thing i want to know is if the image quality is better on the D80 or if its the same.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Essentially, you're not likely to see a difference, and if you were happy with the D40x, you should be equally happy with the D60- you may have to do a touch more sharpening, or change the default settings to get pictures that look the same, but outside of that it's close to the same camera (a little more processing to make things more neutral like the higher-end bodies, which most amateurs hate.)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I owned a Nikon D40x and loved it, however i lost it and am replacing it. I am an amateur photographer and am only going to be using one lens with the D80 and two lens with the D60. The fact that the D60 has a much limited variety of lens' doesn't affect me. I love how simple and easy the D40x was and i want a similar camera. Is image quality better in the D80 than the D60? I also am not going to be using any of the extra features on the D80. The main thing i want to know is if the image quality is better on the D80 or if its the same.

I don't under stand were you say "using one lens with the D80 and two lens with the D60".

What will matter more than which body you get is which lens you will get. It sounds like from the above you'd buy a different lens if you decide to go with the D80. You can't compare D80 to D60 unless they have the exact same lens as it is the lens that determine image quality more so than the body. (well at least when the bodies are so close as the D60/D80 are.)

I'd say the focus motor in the D80 is it's biggest feature over the D60 but if you really don't care about that then you can save some money.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
^^^Maybe it's the difference in cost or something. Maybe buying a D60 would allow him to get 2 lenses rather than just 1 lens with the D80.

Anyway, I think the D60 is a better option for you.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
^^^Maybe it's the difference in cost or something. Maybe buying a D60 would allow him to get 2 lenses rather than just 1 lens with the D80.

Anyway, I think the D60 is a better option for you.

That is what I was thinking, saving money on a body might more to be spent on lens(es)
But as soon as the two bodies have different lenses the question of which one takes a better picture is not so simple and can't be answered at all untill you know which lenses. Heck we don't even konow if he is buying Nikon lenses.

If he has the budget to concider the D80 and 18-55 then he might be bettr off with a D60 and the 18-135. If he is thinking of the package that has an 18-55 and a 55-200 he'd be better off with the 18-135. or the 18-70

ofe1kanofee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
If I were to get the D80 i would get this....D80 SLR Digital Camera Kit with 18-135mm Lens
Price:$1,009.95

If i were to get the D60 i would get this...D60 SLR Digital Camera Kit with 18-55mm G AF-S VR DX & 55-200mm G AF-S VR DX AF Lenses
Price: $ 979. 95

Just for arguments sake...lets say that both cameras were using the same lens and in the same light conditions and of the same thing etc. Which one would take a better picture?

MindBrain

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
If I were to get the D80 i would get this....D80 SLR Digital Camera Kit with 18-135mm Lens
Price:$1,009.95

If i were to get the D60 i would get this...D60 SLR Digital Camera Kit with 18-55mm G AF-S VR DX & 55-200mm G AF-S VR DX AF Lenses

Just for arguments sake...lets say that both cameras were using the same lens and in the same light conditions and of the same thing etc. Which one would take a better picture?

I'd say they'd be about the same. Maybe I'm saying that cause I just bought a D60 (for my first DSLR)

But really I think the reason you'd want the D80 over the D60 is for the extra features: Exposure bracketing option, ability to use auto focus on older lenses, depth of field preview, better auto focus system. Those are the options I'd appreciate.

If you'd settle for the D80 with just 1 lens then do you really think you'd even use the 2nd lens of the D60 all that much?

Really realistically, from what I've been reading I don't think there would be much difference in the image quality as I hear that is mostly dependent on the lens.

I'd look at those options though and if they appeal to you (and you can afford it) then get the D80. Or wait and maybe there will be a D90 soon.

camexp

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2008
Nikon 18-135mm

DO NOT GET THE 18-135. I have heard many bad things about it. My friend has it and she is planning to sell it for something else. It has a ton of visible aberration, color darkening at the sides, and distortion. Unless you are going to be using photoshop, do not go for this lens. The only benefit i see is its wide range.

camexp

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2008
d60 vs d80

If using the same light conditions and lenses, I would say that the d60 would have a better pic just because it is newer and has slightly better image quality, however, the d80 has many more options for taking images. It has much more lighting options, and in camera editing, so the variety of good pictures is much better. By the way, check out soniccameras.com, they have d80 bodies for just $400, i recomend the site.

yeroen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Any minute, imperceptible advantage in IQ that the D60 may enjoy due to its more modern sensor would be overwhelmed by the enormous advantage in IQ that a D80 would enjoy by virtue of its ability to be paired with a fast non-AFS prime. These primes don't even have to be expensive. For image quality, the $100 50 1.8 blows just about any other Nikon lens out of the water, especially slow zooms. But on a D60, a 50 1.8 AF-D isn't your friend.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
Any minute, imperceptible advantage in IQ that the D60 may enjoy due to its more modern sensor would be overwhelmed by the enormous advantage in IQ that a D80 would enjoy by virtue of its ability to be paired with a fast non-AFS prime. These primes don't even have to be expensive. For image quality, the $100 50 1.8 blows just about any other Nikon lens out of the water, especially slow zooms. But on a D60, a 50 1.8 AF-D isn't your friend.

Yes but it seems the OP is only interested in the two Lenses he would be getting with the D60 and he cannot afford another lens when buying the D80.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX

May I suggest the 18-200 instead of the 2 lens setup? It'd probably be similar in cost (if not lightly more).

There's another thread going on this already.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Any minute, imperceptible advantage in IQ that the D60 may enjoy due to its more modern sensor would be overwhelmed by the enormous advantage in IQ that a D80 would enjoy by virtue of its ability to be paired with a fast non-AFS prime.

I realize for some people this is repeated as canon (not "C"anon); but having shot with both primes and zooms myself I think it's hard for people to objectively prove this sort of statement. This blanket declaration may have been true 30-40 years ago, but the quality of zooms - even consumer zooms - has been improving significantly as time progresses.

I think that, in most ways, primes still have a slight edge in quality over consumer zooms in terms of sharpness (at wider apertures anyway - but they also have less than stellar border sharpness at those wide apertures). They have a bigger advantage at wider apertures when it comes to vignetting (light falloff).

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
I realize for some people this is repeated as canon (not "C"anon); but having shot with both primes and zooms myself I think it's hard for people to objectively prove this sort of statement. This blanket declaration may have been true 30-40 years ago, but the quality of zooms - even consumer zooms - has been improving significantly as time progresses.

I think that, in most ways, primes still have a slight edge in quality over consumer zooms in terms of sharpness (at wider apertures anyway - but they also have less than stellar border sharpness at those wide apertures). They have a bigger advantage at wider apertures when it comes to vignetting (light falloff).

I mostly agree the the prime and the comsummer zoom perform not to differently. That is until you compare them at f/4.0 and find that none of the consummer zooms will open up to f/4. My 50mm wins big time at f/1.4 too

It is not so much quality it is "difference" images shot at faster stops have different DOF. So with a prime lens you can take pictures the zoom can't.

Even if you get into the pro-level zooms that open up to f/2.8 my 50mm still does f/2.0 and f/1.4. The expensive pro zoom can't do f/2.0

I've still got a few 1970's vintage zooms. Yes, they are in general better today. but all of the affordable zooms are slow.

The advice to go with the D80 is still good because if you are on a budget the D60 will limit you to shooting at f/5.6 while with the D80 you can do f/1.4

yeroen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I see a huge difference between consumer zooms and fast primes. Pro-zooms can close the gap, and even exceed prime quality at times (e.g. 17-35 2.8 vs 20 2.8), but pro-zooms are a mortgage payment.

The IQ from the inexpensive 50 1.8 (or at least my copy) is eye-poppingly better than the 18-200, say, if less convenient.

camexp

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2008
Big Mistake

Hey, U guys are right. Soniccameras is a scam! I should have googled it, but the bizrate web gave it an A rating so i thought it was fine. Oh well I cancelled the credit card. So, does somebody know a good website for nikon d80 with 18-70mm lens that's not too expensive?? Thanks, and thanks for the warning, I managed to stop it in time.:)

yeroen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Hey, U guys are right. Soniccameras is a scam! I should have googled it, but the bizrate web gave it an A rating so i thought it was fine. Oh well I cancelled the credit card. So, does somebody know a good website for nikon d80 with 18-70mm lens that's not too expensive?? Thanks, and thanks for the warning, I managed to stop it in time.:)

Avoid like Ebola any camera outfit located in Brooklyn, NY. Google 'brooklyn camera scam' and see what you come up with. It's a topic that always resurfaces on this board, as well as every other online photography discussion forum.

If you're buying online, buy only from B&H, Adorama, Calumet, KEH, or Amazon (provided Amazon is selling it, not a third party).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.