Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mthao00

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
I'm fairly new to the art we call photography. haha... After spending many years with a point and shoot, I decided to purchase the "kind of old" but highly regarded Nikon D80 with the kit 18-135mm lens. I got it for a good price.

I'm looking for some recommendations regarding bags, tripods, and other "must have Dslr" accessories... You know, the little things... No recommendations regarding lens because I want to get better at what I have before purchasing anything. However, I do plan on purchasing the 50mm 1.8 (don't have the cash for a 1.4) and maybe a 18-200mm VR in the distant future.

Your recommendations are just recommendations. I'll take them into consideration and purchase them when the funds are available :)

Thanks, mT :apple:

kidkaprie

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I too have the D80 w/ 18-135 lens.

I recently purchased the Tamrac Velcoity 7x as my "small bag". It holds my camera, another small lens, and an SB-800 flash unit.

as far as other things, i too would like to know what other type of accessories to get...

alecmcmahon

macrumors regular
May 18, 2007
Woodbridge, NJ
def. pick up a sb-600, or 2 or 3...

it makes the world of difference over the built in flash, and best of all you can control the sb-600(or 800) off camera via the Commander mode that is already built in to your d80.

TimJim

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
-4Gb SD (or 8)
-Extra battery isn't really needed on a D80, it's battery life is superb. But since yours is used and the battery might be a bit warn down, maybe buy another.
-Nice tripod.

TimJim

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
how many shots are you getting out of one charge? i think im close to 1000. is that normal?

Yeah 1000 pictures sounds good. That's why i feel you don't need a spare battery because before I take something like 1000 shots, I can always charge it.

Adrien Baker

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
Bakersfield, Ca.
As you expand your collection of gear you'll have a multitude of bags and cases. I just recently expanded to a Pelican 1514 Carry-On hard case. A lot of people shoot with tripods, and everybody else doesn't. Unless you really need one for some reason, there's no reason to have it sitting around. *shrug*

But as far as the recommendations for spare SD cards and batteries, I'm all about that. Maybe also the vertical grip for the D80 as well. A flash never hurt anybody, either. I have both the SB-400 and SB-800, but for general use I find myself using the 400 quite a bit more, as it's just smaller and easier to carry around.

Adrien

onomatopoeia

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2007
Yeah 1000 pictures sounds good. That's why i feel you don't need a spare battery because before I take something like 1000 shots, I can always charge it.

Most DSLR's have great battery life today. It's still nice to have a backup which is always charged just in case. You'll wish you kept a fully charged backup when you do an impromptu shoot and realized you didn't charge your primary battery. It will happen.

mthao00

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
I just got the Tamrac Velocity 7x sling pack. It's compact and serves my purpose. Awesome.

mT :apple:

American

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2008
More Recommendations

I too am looking for the same kind of recommendations. I take action shots of sports. I have recently begun taking shots of football, which I am not able to get as close as I can when I shoot soccer. I too have the 18-135 D 80 Nikon. What else other lens should I get? Do I have to purchase a name brand, or are there others that are just as good? Will an 800 flash be good enough if I get a 300mm lens? This is just high school sports, but I would like it to be pretty good. Also what about lens brands?

I am also wondering if anyone has used any of the wide angle lenses or the 2x converter lenses that just double your current lens.

Thank you,
Angi

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
I too am looking for the same kind of recommendations. I take action shots of sports. I have recently begun taking shots of football, which I am not able to get as close as I can when I shoot soccer. I too have the 18-135 D 80 Nikon. What else other lens should I get? Do I have to purchase a name brand, or are there others that are just as good? Will an 800 flash be good enough if I get a 300mm lens? This is just high school sports, but I would like it to be pretty good. Also what about lens brands?

I am also wondering if anyone has used any of the wide angle lenses or the 2x converter lenses that just double your current lens.

Thank you,
Angi

Bad idea to bump a thread from last year, since its not really a similar question...

You aren't going to be flashing. Just get that idea out of your mind. Unless you get a metz with a better beamer a flash is probably out for HS football. Off brand lenses are okay if you buy a good one, but there is no rule of thumb... 1st party and 3rd parties both make good and bad lenses.

And no, do not buy converter lenses. They're beyond horrible. At that point, you'll get better shots from a point and shoot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.