Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Hey guys

Need some advice...

I have a Nikon D40 right now, and I have an opportunity to get a d80 body for $400. I was wondering if this would be a good deal/upgrade from my d40. I plan on selling the D40 and an 18-55mm nonVR Lens on ebay and I figure I can get around $300 for it. So essentially it would be $100 for the upgrade. Is it worth it guys? And is it a nice deal?

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
It's a good buy if you want a D80. What features are you looking to get from the D80? Is there a specific lens you want that's not AF-s, for example?

peapody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I'm no professional photographer...still very newbish, but I have been shooting with my d40 for the past year now. What I would love is if I could indeed have larger lens variety, perhaps snappier and quicker shots as in a quicker frame rate, and good low lighter performance. I am not sure if the camera can help me in lower light, but just wondering if the D80 is considered a good all around camera beyond the D40. I know some people try to avoid the D40x, so I wanted to see if this is one of those cameras.

techie4life

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
Georgia
My first (and current) dSLR was the D80. I absolutely love it. Three frames per second certainly does help depending on what you are shooting, and it does have decent low light performance, obviously not as good as the D700, etc... Having a built-in autofocus motor does help too, especially because I love using my 50mm f/1.8 (a must buy). It has a very sturdy feel, one thing I like over the XTi, for example. Overall, I am happy with my choice, and I think you would be very happy with it. Just my two cents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.