Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

salvatore

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2007
Massachusetts
Has anyone ever purchased one of the kits/bundles from eBay? For example, when I searched for 'Nikon D80' today, here's the result set:
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=nikon+d80&category0=

I suspect the 'stuff' in the bundles (case, tripod, card reader, et cetera) are of sub-par quality due to their free nature, but the prices seem right for getting so much quantity.

Ive my eye on this, which is about the same price for the kits from eBay:
http://www.17photo.com/product.asp?id=D802LK

There are myriad 'what should I buy?' posts out there; I dont mean to turn this into one of them.

Have any experience with these kits from eBay, or from 17photo.com?

yeroen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Do not buy from these places. This is one of those New York/Brooklyn internet/mail-order camera/photo scams.

Do a google search for said scam to see what I'm talking about.

I wouldn't buy from anywhere except Adorama, B&H, Calumet, Amazon, or KEH.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
The typical scam goes like this: You place order. They call to tell you they are out of stock but they have another deal for you. But that wil include a bundle of worthless junk for a high total price. Yo try and cancel the order and find that they want a "restocking" fee. Eventually you will have to get your bank to do a charge back on the credit card but they know how to make that process drag on. If you buy on-line stick with the first tier resellers.

I'd say to goole the name of the campany but that is hard because they may have five different names all at the same address. So try to google the address or phone number too. If you don't Google does not find lots of positive things about the company find some other reseller. It's not llike the D80 is hard to find

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
I have had great success with these type of vendors on ebay. actually just ordered a d40 kit and decided to upgrade to the d40x, rather than ship back the whole package, they just asked for the camera/lens and they charged the difference, they even paid the shipping cost when they sent the second camera! I think i dealt with shopsunshine or something. i wouldnt buy from the vendor that you have listed, go through ebay.

forgot to add, yes, the accessories are pretty much crap. But in reality, an sd card/cf card is just that a card and will work. the bags, tripods, flashes, cleaning kits, filters, tele/wide angle lenses are pretty much going to be throw away items. But if you shop around, the actual kit itself of the nikon d80 and kit lense is typically cheaper through one of these vendors with all of the "throw away" stuff than it is through bh adorama etc. the only things that id throw in my bag from one of these deals is the camera, real lenses, memory card, and cleaning kit.

salvatore

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2007
Massachusetts
Thanks for the replies. Are the scam warnings for both eBay and 17photo.com? A friend has had success with 17photo, and one of the replies has had success with eBay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.