Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pratik patel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
past few months have been looking to buy a new DSLR have zeroed out on Nikon D80 and D90,

should i go with D80 18 to 135 mm lens or d 90 18-105mm lens.

Thank you,

Pratik.

NinjaMonkey

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2003
Maryland
The D90 is cleaner at high ISO and the metering seems to be a bit better than the D80.

As for the lenses I have the 18-105 and I'd say it's okay. There is some distortion at 18mm. It is a pretty good starter lense but depending on what you are going to shoot you may want to upgrade eventually.

I've never used the 18-135 so I can't give an opinion on that.

pratik patel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
The D90 is cleaner at high ISO and the metering seems to be a bit better than the D80.

As for the lenses I have the 18-105 and I'd say it's okay. There is some distortion at 18mm. It is a pretty good starter lense but depending on what you are going to shoot you may want to upgrade eventually.

I've never used the 18-135 so I can't give an opinion on that.

thanks dude.... :)

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
The D90 is a great body (I have one and love it), but it is nearly twice as expensive as what you can find a used D80 for so just make sure it's worth it to you. I shoot every single day, so it was worth it for me, with the main advantages being:

- Better high ISO performance
- Bigger, brighter, better LCD screen -- this thing is fantastic
- Improved matrix metering

Other smaller things that add up for me also are:
- Live view (I don't use it often, but on occasion it's *really* handy)
- Built-in anti-dust feature

And of course there's video if you care, but I still haven't used that except for shooting one test vid just to see how it works.

Those changes made it worth the extra $400 and change over a D80 for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.