Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Hi,

Quick question....

Let say I've got a Nikon D80. Is it possible to take photos while connected to a computer via USB?

Any way this can be accomplished to allow for quick transfer of photos taken in real time?

arn

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
On my D50 (not that different from the D80) there are two different modes for USB operation -- Mass Storage, in which it functions as an SD reader, and PTP, in which it functions as a device from which images can be retrieved using Image Capture. In PTP mode, if I recall correctly, you can still shoot while the camera is plugged in.

But it sounds like you might benefit from Nikon Camera Control Pro, a program ($57.99 at MacMall) that lets you upload photos to your computer as they are taken. I believe there is a 30-day free trial available from Nikon if you want to give it a try; I haven't ever really messed with that sort of stuff, since I generally don't have my computer with me when shooting.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
thanks guys...

that software Camera Control Pro seems like it'll do the trick.

arn

EstorilM

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
With Windows XP, when my D200 is plugged in using PTP mode, it opens up a new window (even has a "take picture now" button in the left side that controls the camera) Anything taken will instantly pop up into that window. I have yet to figure out how to do this in OS X, I'm not sure that it will, but it's not really that important for me haha.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Let say I've got a Nikon D80. Is it possible to take photos while connected to a computer via USB?

Yes, it is common. They call this "tethered" shooting. Nikon offerers some add-on software that allows you to remotely control the camera. I think a 30 day demo is included with the camera. Nikon has recently changed the name of the software so I'm not sure of the exact name. They have two programs One is free with the camera and the other costs like $100. You need ther $100 one.

The main advantage you get to check the image on the large computer screen seconds after it is shot and then you have the normal histogram display.

EstorilM

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
Yup, CaptureNX does a lot of cool stuff like that - just overlaps too many apps that I already have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.