Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

br.avery

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2008
I'm an aspiring photographer, I've been a model since I was 12, represented by The Campbell Agency in Texas, one of the top five agencies. I'm 17 and really have a passion for photography, now I was wondering if the Nikon D90 would be good to start off with. I'll be shooting headshots for other models and fashion photography. I'm pretty good with photoshop also.

What all do I need to start?
A camera, A MacBook (Which I already have), Software (What kind?) and just let me know other stuff that I might need to become a successful photographer.

I'm also pretty good with web design so I can build my own website.

Qwest905

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
proof of u as a model? lol

and yea d90 is a nice camera from what i hear

Apr 10, 2007
the D90 is a awesome camera, I just got one in october and I love it.

But if I was you and I was just starting out I would just pick up a older model, like a D40, and use the extra money to get some lenses.

software wise photoshop should be fine, thats pretty much all I use, rarely Ill use a HDR program like photomatix, but for what your doing you shouldn't need to do anything with HDR.

thomahawk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2008
Osaka, Japan
lightroom and aperture are great apps for you to use when importing new photos from high-end cameras like the D90, personally i'd tone down to the d80 unless you plan to shoot HD video with that thing.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Why is it relevant for us to know that you're a model in a top-five agency?

I second the suggestion to choose good glass over an expensive camera body. But if you can afford both, all the better. The D90 is a terrific camera. It it had been out when I was in the market, I'd own one myself.

Mac-Addict

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
London
Do not buy a D40/D40X or a D60, as they do not have a built in focus motor so to auto focus you have to get lenses with a built in motor, which dramatically decreases your options in lenses and will in the end cost you more than if you had first gone with a D90. A D90 should be perfect for you, its not too complicated for a non professional and will produce fantastic images. I'm buying a D90 this christmas after having a D40 for about a year, I wish I had just started with a D80/D90.

br.avery

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2008
sweeeet! thanks everybody..

know any good tutorial sites to start off with the d90?

im gonna get one today! :)

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I'll be shooting headshots for other models and fashion photography.

Base talent shots just need to be evenly lit, but a portfolio needs to be lit correctly for the shape of face- lighting is more important than camera- a set of strobes, modifiers, triggers and gels, as well as an understanding of lighting is important. A competent MUA helps immeasurably as well once you get past the flat 8x10 w/o makeup most agencies require, and a couple of basic backgrounds and stands are a good place to start.

Fashion depends heavily on usage/market/age, but as well as lighting, posing skills, lots of space, long super-teles seem to still be the look of the day for lots of fashion work- depending on what markets you're competing in. Good selections of matching accessories (earrings, bags, scarves...,) makeup, glycerin and other props help a lot if the clients aren't going to furnish everything. Strobes, modifiers, power packs for outdoors, sandbags, the ability to get location permits if you're in a restrictive jurisdiction... again the camera body is really secondary unless you're shooting high-fashion, in which case you're basically looking at the Hasselblad HD-39 along with all the lighting. A good MUA becomes more important as you start to bring in fabric colors. Good color profiling is important too- being able to manage everything from lighting temperature/white balance through workflow gamut to printing profiles tend to be important in fashion.

Good contracts and good insurance are also more important than which camera body you shoot with.

Neither of these fields tend to be "I only shoot natural light" type events by a long shot. I'd recommend some time at the library looking over some fashion photography books, posing technique books, lighting books, and color workflow/printing books as a good start. Also, unless you've got a good-sized studio to shoot in, you're going to want to have relatively powerful strobes for outdoor work- the cheap "Strobist" type set-ups don't tend to work well when you're dealing with a lot of ambient light. Additionally, a good flash meter will be helpful in dialing in initial ratios.

I'd avoid anything that's not a constant f/2.8 or better unless you can get outdoors with backgrounds way in the distance. Crop factor bodies make it a little difficult to get that telephoto compression look due to magnification, but if you're not doing a lot of extreme close-ups it may not be that big a deal. You do want something that's reasonably long though.

Fashion is one place where finding a good series of courses or workshops is well-worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.