Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

misterc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
I have just recently purchased the Nikon d90 and have run into a problem. When trying to transfer movies taken with the d90, there have been some instances where the movies do not transfer to my computer. I am running MAC OSX the latest version and run into this problem on iphoto as well as with the nikon software that comes with the camera. An error message simply appears that says it can't transfer these files. Please help. I have searched some forums with other users experiencing the same issue but have found no solution.

XianPalin

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
I always take the card out and put it into an SD card reader that plugs into a USB slot. After that, the card mounts on the desktop as a drive, and I copy over the movie .AVI files. Works fine for me.

Not sure what you're using; I know Lightroom says it can't import the files as it doesn't handle movie files.

misterc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
D 90

Are you using the D90? If so did you have the same transfer problem with the .avi movies? I'll buy a card reader and try.

misterc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
D 90

Thanks for responding. I have been transferring my pictures via usb through iphoto and sometimes with the nikon transfer software. I have encountered errors in some of the movies capture with the D90 in both software programs. All my software is up to date, including quicktime which plays avi files. I have tried deleting programs and reinstalling them but that doesn't work either. I purchased a card reader today and even on the card itself some files wont play and when I drop the files on my desktop the same error occurs. All files play on the camera fine.

misterc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
D90

Update: I just downloaded isquint for mac and placed the non-working avi file, which the program converted to mp4 and now the file works. What exactly is this program doing to the file that the original file transferred with the camera doesn't have?

jim4spam

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2009
Hmm.. mine works fine

We've a 2007 iMac running 10.5.6 and we bought a D90 camera in Feb. Works fine downloading the files via cable into iPhoto or elsewhere (then play via Quicktime).

It sounds like iSquint is a solution but other users say it isn't very sharp after conversion. In short, I wanted to say that it should work without that step. (Although I can't remember if I've uploaded a codec thingy in the past that may make the difference).

Good luck.

misterc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
d90

Yes isquint is that good quality at all. I downloaded iskysoft which works great with HD quality but Im still not sure why I have to do this step. If you remember a codec that you installed please update.

jim4spam

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2009
sorry - I don't remember any specific codec. If you are close to an Apple Store then I'd take it in and ask. This stuff is "just supposed to work", right? I don't think that we even installed the Nikon software - just plugged in and played.

electrolux76

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2008
NY,NY
My guess is that the problem may be the sd card. I've seen bad cards cause these problems many times before. If you have another card available to you (borrow from a friend?) try that. If the other card works, try reformatting the bad card in camera and see if that helps, if not, chuck the card(or send it back for replacement if the warranty is still good)

misterc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
d90

Definitely not the card. I have had the same problem on two cards. Both cards are also "guaranteed" to work as stated on nikons website. Like I said I only like to use iphoto because of the ease of importation. However, I loaded Nikon software after I notice that some of the avi files were not importing. The Nikon software will import but quicktime wont play. If I convert files using iskysoft they work great. Just doesn't make sense!!

misterc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
d90

IF anyone is still out there who can help, here is the console log when I try to play the file:

Here is the console log:

6/20/09 9:12:52 AM iPhoto<200> ILLogger ILMediaBrowserPathWatcher: ** Error in ILMediaBrowserPathWatcher startFSEventStream failed to start for paths: (
"/Users/bigmc57/Library/Preferences"
) **

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.