Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uaecasher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
Stillwater, OK
Hello,

I was wondering what's the pros and cons of D5000? I mean it's 250$ more that D90 and from what I can see the D5000 is better than D90

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey
Hello,

I was wondering what's the pros and cons of D5000? I mean it's 250$ more that D90 and from what I can see the D5000 is better than D90

Its not necessarily better, its very similiar.

I just upgraded my D60 to a D5000 and considered the D90, the differences I saw between the 2 weren't substantial enough to get the D90, and in the long run would have cost me more.

I am thrilled with the D5000. The only feature I would like to have is the higher resolution screen from the D90, but that wasn't worth the upgrade to me. the D90 also has a 2nd screen for viewing settings, a nice feature and something most seasoned SLR shooters will appreciate since the higher-end cameras all have it.

When it came down to making a decision 3 things swayed me:
1) The swivel screen. While its a novelty to some, I enjoy having it and in the week+ I've had the D5000 I've used it twice, so its worth it.

2) The Extra scene modes. I'm still very amateur when it comes to SLR's. I am learning what I can about manual settings but still like the comfort of the built in modes, and the D5000 just had more. I may never use them all, but they are there just in case.

3) No need for me to re-buy batteries. Coming from a D60, I already purchased my spares and the D5000 uses the same one (although updated, but still compatible).

Again, I don't think the D90 is better - I doubt you'd see a difference in image quality between the 2 simply because the "guts" of the camera are the same. Decide what you prefer.. a swivel screen or a higher resolution screen. A smaller camera or a slightly larger one with a 2nd LCD...
And as most everyone will say - if you still can't decide, go to a store, pick up both and see which feels better for you.

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2008
He means that lenses that aren't af-s or af-i won't autofocus on the lenses, which in the long run can be more expensive when purchasing lenses. Lenses with built in motor are more expensive than ones that aren't.

uaecasher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
Stillwater, OK
but in nikon site:

"11-point Autofocus System with 3D Focus Tracking
Fast and accurate autofocus delivers razor sharpness."

how is that possible

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2008
d5000 doesn't have the build in motor to auto focus with Non-Af-S lenses.
it's more worth it to go for the d90. more choice of lenses

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
but in nikon site:

"11-point Autofocus System with 3D Focus Tracking
Fast and accurate autofocus delivers razor sharpness."

how is that possible

Not having a built-in motor doesn't mean the camera can't autofocus, it just means it can only autofocus lenses that do have a built-in motor.

OCSpersonel

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2009
if you are an insainly good photographer who does photography for a living, go for the D5000
otherwise, why not just get the D90 that can shoot HD video???
my D50 still takes amazing pictures and its been discontinued

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
if you are an insainly good photographer who does photography for a living, go for the D5000

The D5000 is below the D90 in Nikon's product line (the OP has probably mixed up the prices). Both shoot (mediocre, from the sounds of it) HD video.

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
D90 Owner

As a D90 owner, I went to a local Photostore and test shot the D5000. Ok granted, I only used it for about 20 minutes but there are a LOT of things different than the D90. The D5000 is more along the consumer line and "pro features" are missing. While the sensor might be the same, a lot of things are not.

I would argue that the D5000 goes more towards the Entry level (D40/60) and the D90 is the little brother of the D300. many people will argue that the top LCD screen, the superior rear LCD screen, the two selection wheels (front and back) and the viewfinder as well as the autofocus motor might not be THE thing to have, but to be honest. I could not live without them...

However, as it is reviewed here: http://www.franknuernberger.de/blog_fotograf_berlin/?p=432
it is a very capable camera. Still if you have the additional coupe of hundred buck you DO get what you pay for in the D90...

just my 2 c

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
d5000 doesn't have the build in motor to auto focus with Non-Af-S lenses.
it's more worth it to go for the d90. more choice of lenses

For the vast majority of people, I don't think this matters. Nikon hasn't released a lens that didn't have a built in motor since somewhere around 2003.

The move to in-lens motors is mostly due to the fact that they generally provide much faster AF tracking than in-body motors.

If you really want the widest variety of Nikkor lenses to choose from, you need to buy a higher-end camera like the D300, D700, D3/x.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008

Wrong. The D90 is more if a semi-pro camera while the D5000 is a Novice entry level camera for people who rather use AUTO mode.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
For the vast majority of people, I don't think this matters. Nikon hasn't released a lens that didn't have a built in motor since somewhere around 2003.

The move to in-lens motors is mostly due to the fact that they generally provide much faster AF tracking than in-body motors.

If you really want the widest variety of Nikkor lenses to choose from, you need to buy a higher-end camera like the D300, D700, D3/x.

:confused: :eek:

D90, D300, D700, and so on all have access to all the lenses. The D80 and below do not have this ability.

ScubaDuc

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2003
Europe
But.... If I am not mistaken, the D5000 supports metering with old AI lenses while I seem to recall that the D90 does not.

Is that correct? :confused:

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
shamelessly copied from the DPREVIEW forum , and verified in my own user manual:
"According to p 87 of the user manual, The D90 will meter with non-CPU lenses off the central focus point when set to spot metering (manual mode only I would assume). Has anyone tried this?"

ScubaDuc

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2003
Europe
shamelessly copied from the DPREVIEW forum , and verified in my own user manual:
"According to p 87 of the user manual, The D90 will meter with non-CPU lenses off the central focus point when set to spot metering (manual mode only I would assume). Has anyone tried this?"

Yes, so it should, but there is this footnote (11) on the lens compatibility chart that states "Electronic analog display cannot be used" If I cannot read the exposure, what good is it :confused:

I have a rather substantial kit of legacy AI lenses from the old F3 and F2 years I'd hate not to use :rolleyes:

OCSpersonel

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2009
The D5000 is below the D90 in Nikon's product line (the OP has probably mixed up the prices). Both shoot (mediocre, from the sounds of it) HD video.

OOPS! haha i havent looked at nikons product line since the D90 came out, i just assumed the higher number was more advanced, sorry!

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
OOPS! haha i havent looked at nikons product line since the D90 came out, i just assumed the higher number was more advanced, sorry!

Yet ironically your original comment still contains truth. A D5000 in the hands of a skilled photographer can shoot circles around a D3x in the hands of someone who doesn't know what they're doing. A better camera will not make you a better photographer.

Re: the autofocusing, having an internal AF motor can be nice if you have a large stock of old lenses, or would have interest in purchasing older lenses used at very good prices and getting superior optical quality from them. Otherwise, it is highly unlikely Nikon will ever make another non AF-S lens in the future, thus if you only intend to buy recent or new lenses, lack of an internal focusing meter will not really be a problem. My D80 has an internal screw-drive focusing meter and it can autofocus using older lenses.

Ruahrc

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I stand corrected. But the D80 does not have the built in Focus motor.

Sorry, the D80 has a built in internal focus motor. That is why it is able to auto focus AF lenses...be careful of your absolute statements!

I'd have to agree with westsideguy. These days nikon is pushing out newer technologies and while you are limiting yourself in the lenses you can use with the D5000, some of the top notch lenses out there have incorporated VR and dust reducing technologies that are desirable anyway. I can see the limitations for D5000 users if they are looking to get legacy lenses or perhaps lower cost AF lenses such as the 50mm 1.8.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.