Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

out of the ash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
in a great big septic tank
kindest regards for the information guys. I have my d80 fitted with nikor 18-200 VR and its great, the problem lies with the minister for fun and good times borrowing it, so I thought that the sigma could be an option to put on if she does. there were two that I could get at a very nice price one being the 28-105 and the other a 24-70.
It is difficult to find lenses at a reasonable price in aust. the VR had a price tag of 1500 aus dollars. great camera and great lens all I have to do is learn to get the best out of it. A job in itself, but a least I can get answers quickly here as opposed to talking to someone foreign that I can't understand. once again thanks

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
The 28-105 is no longer produced by Sigma, at least according to their web page. On the other hand, the 24-70 f/2.8 is a very good non-professional lens, one that I am seriously considering. However, I am also tempted by the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 based on superlative comments from its buyers. I have to decide for myself whether the 3-4x price difference is worth it (to use with a future D700). Owners will say it's a lens you buy once and keep for decades because there's nothing left wanting, and it's as good or better than primes in the focal range it covers.

For a D80, however, the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 is a wonderful choice.

As far as your comments about the intelligibility of foreign accents, I don't see how that is relevant. Do you call Sigma's or Nikon's tech support people to help you make a lens choice?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
kindest regards for the information guys. I have my d80 fitted with nikor 18-200 VR and its great, the problem lies with the minister for fun and good times borrowing it

So to problem is that you've loaded out the lens and need softhing not to expensive so you can continue to use the D80 body?

I'd go for the Nikon 18-70. They sell here in the US for About $270. If that is to much go for the 18-55 for $100 less. But you might also want to pick up a 50mm lens. In my opinion the 18-70 will do 90% of what the 18-200 can as most people don't use the long end of the zoom that much.

The problem is when you get the lens back the 18-70 will be redundant. Buy the 50mm and it will compliment your 18-200

operator207

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
...the minister for fun and good times borrowing it, so I thought that the sigma could be an option to put on if she does...

Ha Ha! I call my wife (affectionately of course) Congress. :) As in a PITA to pass anything by her or get approval for anything through her.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.