Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thouts

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Hello all.

I've got a D60 with the 18-55mm dx vr kit lens and also the 55-200mm dx vr lens. I'm wondering if I would ever choose to upgrade my camera body to say a D90 or even some of the upper level pro camera bodys if these lenses would still work?

I didn't know if there are compatability issues because of the auto-focus motor in the lenses I currently use with the D60.

Or is this a stupid question because if I am going to spend money on a nicer camera body I should also be spending cash on the lens?

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
The problem only exists the other way around, those lenses will work just fine on a camera with an auto focus motor in the body, the only issue you may encounter is if you ever switch to an FX format camera like a D700, however if you were going to do that you would be well aware of such issues.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Those lenses will work fine on a more expensive body, with the proviso about full frame. However, as you suggest, if you got a better body you would perhaps be doing it a disservice with such inexpensive glass. Still, as a stopgap perhaps. Sure!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.