Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soma 115

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
the Chi
Hey guys.

I'm kind of a novice when it comes to filters and color dynamics in pre-shooting. I was wondering what type of filter would be good for darkening a picture. im working with the stock Nikon D40 lens(18-55mm 3.5) and a sigma 70-300 lens that i can't remember the size of at the moment. any help is greatly appreciated!

-Dillon

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
What exactly do you want to do? Do you want to underexpose your picture or have longer exposure times?
If all you want is have the picture less exposed, you could use manual exposure correction on the camera or use your favorite image editing app to make it darker (even Preview will do). There's no need for a filter in this case.

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
Or... if you're trying to take longer exposures, you'll need a neutral density filter (ND). Pretty much all companies that make filters make ND's. B&W are great, as are heliopan. For ND filters, in particular, I would actually recommend the vari-ND from SinghRay. Yeah, it's $345, but it solves you having to get all densities between 1-8. Check it out here.

Soma 115

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
the Chi
What exactly do you want to do? Do you want to underexpose your picture or have longer exposure times?
If all you want is have the picture less exposed, you could use manual exposure correction on the camera or use your favorite image editing app to make it darker (even Preview will do). There's no need for a filter in this case.

alright. i was looking to find a type of underexposure. ill try adjusting photos in PS and see how that works out.

also, how would one accomplish an effect like this
http://wvs.topleftpixel.com/07/12/01/

it looks like a slight hdr alteration but i can't really tell :confused:

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
alright. i was looking to find a type of underexposure. ill try adjusting photos in PS and see how that works out.

also, how would one accomplish an effect like this
http://wvs.topleftpixel.com/07/12/01/

it looks like a slight hdr alteration but i can't really tell :confused:

To me that looks like a bit of dodging and burning as well as some curve adjustments. I don't know if you actually need a ND filter for that.. (Shutter speed was 1/50s)..

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
You don't want filters for this. Shoot RAW and use photoshop or aperture or something to post-process. I personally would use the shadow-highlight and associated contrast sliders. But I don't know what the hell I'm doing. It would look like this though.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Or... if you're trying to take longer exposures, you'll need a neutral density filter (ND). Pretty much all companies that make filters make ND's. B&W are great, as are heliopan. For ND filters, in particular, I would actually recommend the vari-ND from SinghRay. Yeah, it's $345, but it solves you having to get all densities between 1-8. Check it out here.

The SinghRay is just two polarising filters, stacked, right? There must be a way of doing this for less...

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
You can't "mimic" a polariser. They're one of the most important filters in photography since they can remove reflections etc.

True, but the actual instance that you need a polarizer to shoot through glass is minimal. The only times I've actually seen polarizers being used for that purpose is in movies when they have an establishing shot of people talking inside a cafe/office building etc. and they can't have the camera reflecting in the glass.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

For clarity, it's 1-8 stops, not ND 1-ND 8 (a filter with a density of 1.0 would be just over three stops.) An ND 0.3 is one stop. For $65, you can get a Lee three filter set (.3, .6, and .9) with a rubber-band based holder (ND filter set with Gelsnap holder.) That gives you 1, 2 and 3 stops singly, and up to 6 stops total if you stack them and the square filter holder will rubber band on most lenses (100mmx100mm)- you're not stuck with a single diameter.

I just picked up a Kodak ND 4.00, which gives 13 1/3 stops

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
True, but the actual instance that you need a polarizer to shoot through glass is minimal. The only times I've actually seen polarizers being used for that purpose is in movies when they have an establishing shot of people talking inside a cafe/office building etc. and they can't have the camera reflecting in the glass.

Polarizers do have other uses other than removing reflections. However they are quite good at that - try using one sometime when you're near a body of water, and want to see the fish...

Re: the Singh-Ray Vari-ND filter: I have it, and have found it very handy. However I would recommend spending the extra $50 and getting the slim-line version (which I didn't do). The Vari-ND is Vari-thick. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.